Re: [lascruceshomeschool] Want to homeschool but not sure. . .

  • ekcfrench@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
      Hi Lori:

      I homeschool my 11 year old son and my 8 year old daughter attends Desert Hills Elementary.  Both are special needs and special ed. interventions offered by Desert Hills (which are awesome, by the way) just didn't work for my son.  Homeschooling him has made a big difference and it seems like a lot of his delays have melted away.  Socialization is an issue and we've decided to meet with Yvonne and anyone else who is interested at Apodoca Park on July 18th.

      I am a paralegal turned caterer, so if you have any questions concerning New Mexico laws as they apply to homeschooling or about parents' and/or homeschoolers' rights, just let me know.  And yes, you do have the right to let your homeschooled child attend certain classes and/or activities within the schools.  My son received speech therapy services, participated in library and was invited to attend PE classes.  Talk to the principal in your district.  Also, the principal at Desert Hills offered to let both my kids attend school 1/2 days and give them homeschool status 1/2 days.

      Good luck!

      Katie French

      From: "loriandsep" <loriandsep@...>

      I am very drawn to homeschooling my son age 6. He is about to go into
      2nd grade and I am not at all happy with public school. I am very
      interested in meeting and talking to some homeschooling parents here
      in Las Cruces. If you have advice or anything to share I would love
      to know. I have been reading the previous posted messages. I am very
      interested in getting involved in a group, my son is very social and
      he loves that part of school. Thanks Lori