Re: Want to homeschool but not sure. . .

  • starmom00
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
      Lori,

      I started homeschooling last June(06). Some of our daughters(9, 12,
      14) were not thrilled with being taken out of school, they missed their
      friends. At this point I think they have adjusted. Part of them I am
      sure misses that still but they recognize the benefits. They like not
      having to worry about the structure of school. And there is the peer
      pressure part of it. I think that while none of them will admit it, it
      is a relief not to have to face that as well. Every child is
      different. Remember if you try homeschooling for a year, you can
      always send him back to school the next year or even the next
      semester. I feel like it is still an option for me, my husband loves
      homeschooling though :-)

      The reason we homeschooled all last summer was that I wanted to try it
      for a couple of months and if it didn't work, I could still send them
      back in the fall and they would still be on track.

      Some folks homeschool one child and send the other to school. It is
      very individual.

      I just moved here from PA, I will answer any questions that you have
      for me. I do not know about the New Mexico Laws but some states will
      still let your homeschooled children participate in school activities.

      Best of luck with your decision.

      starmom

      --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "loriandsep"

    • ekcfrench@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
        Hi Lori:

        I homeschool my 11 year old son and my 8 year old daughter attends Desert Hills Elementary.  Both are special needs and special ed. interventions offered by Desert Hills (which are awesome, by the way) just didn't work for my son.  Homeschooling him has made a big difference and it seems like a lot of his delays have melted away.  Socialization is an issue and we've decided to meet with Yvonne and anyone else who is interested at Apodoca Park on July 18th.

        I am a paralegal turned caterer, so if you have any questions concerning New Mexico laws as they apply to homeschooling or about parents' and/or homeschoolers' rights, just let me know.  And yes, you do have the right to let your homeschooled child attend certain classes and/or activities within the schools.  My son received speech therapy services, participated in library and was invited to attend PE classes.  Talk to the principal in your district.  Also, the principal at Desert Hills offered to let both my kids attend school 1/2 days and give them homeschool status 1/2 days.

        Good luck!

        Katie French