Want to homeschool but not sure. . .

  • loriandsep
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
      I am very drawn to homeschooling my son age 6. He is about to go into
      2nd grade and I am not at all happy with public school. I am very
      interested in meeting and talking to some homeschooling parents here
      in Las Cruces. If you have advice or anything to share I would love
      to know. I have been reading the previous posted messages. I am very
      interested in getting involved in a group, my son is very social and
      he loves that part of school. Thanks Lori
    • starmom00
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
        Lori,

        I started homeschooling last June(06). Some of our daughters(9, 12,
        14) were not thrilled with being taken out of school, they missed their
        friends. At this point I think they have adjusted. Part of them I am
        sure misses that still but they recognize the benefits. They like not
        having to worry about the structure of school. And there is the peer
        pressure part of it. I think that while none of them will admit it, it
        is a relief not to have to face that as well. Every child is
        different. Remember if you try homeschooling for a year, you can
        always send him back to school the next year or even the next
        semester. I feel like it is still an option for me, my husband loves
        homeschooling though :-)

        The reason we homeschooled all last summer was that I wanted to try it
        for a couple of months and if it didn't work, I could still send them
        back in the fall and they would still be on track.

        Some folks homeschool one child and send the other to school. It is
        very individual.

        I just moved here from PA, I will answer any questions that you have
        for me. I do not know about the New Mexico Laws but some states will
        still let your homeschooled children participate in school activities.

        Best of luck with your decision.

        starmom

        --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "loriandsep"

      • ekcfrench@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
          Hi Lori:

          I homeschool my 11 year old son and my 8 year old daughter attends Desert Hills Elementary.  Both are special needs and special ed. interventions offered by Desert Hills (which are awesome, by the way) just didn't work for my son.  Homeschooling him has made a big difference and it seems like a lot of his delays have melted away.  Socialization is an issue and we've decided to meet with Yvonne and anyone else who is interested at Apodoca Park on July 18th.

          I am a paralegal turned caterer, so if you have any questions concerning New Mexico laws as they apply to homeschooling or about parents' and/or homeschoolers' rights, just let me know.  And yes, you do have the right to let your homeschooled child attend certain classes and/or activities within the schools.  My son received speech therapy services, participated in library and was invited to attend PE classes.  Talk to the principal in your district.  Also, the principal at Desert Hills offered to let both my kids attend school 1/2 days and give them homeschool status 1/2 days.

          Good luck!

          Katie French