Re: [lascruceshomeschool] Re: New Girl in Town

  • Leticia Werner
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 27 7:16 AM
      Rachel,

      Thanks for your welcome, you don't know how happy that makes me.  I wasn't sure I would get a response.  Thanks.  I understand "busy," we are pretty much going through that ourselves with the moving and selling of our home, that we've been living in for the past 10 years. It's a task, I'll tell you.

      How nice that you have chickens and goats.  I'd like to get some chickens/goats myself, once we get situated.  I love goat cheese, never made it myself, but would like to learn the process.

      A park day would be a great start.  I don't know the name of the park, but there is a very nice one off of Hadley.  It's the area where different baseball, soccer teams play.  This place has shaded picnic tables and a large area for our kids to play.  I've been there several times and my daughter always wants to return.

      I am looking forward to meeting you and your children.

      Sincerely,
      Leticia Werner

      Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
    • yduhigg
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 27 12:15 PM
        Rachel & Leticia--- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Leticia
        Werner <leticiawerner@...> wrote:

        > Rachel, Leticia & Whoever Else is Interested in a Las Cruces Home
        School Park Day,

        I would like to start Park Day for any interested home schooling
        family and for all ages the week of May 7th. There is a nice park
        in the Four Hills Subdivision on the corner of Mars & Lunaridge. If
        you take Del Rey (where Ashly Furniture is) you would make a right
        on Mars until you see the park on the left at Lunaridge. It has two
        fields, a playground, benches, picnic tables and plenty of shade.
        It is also in an area that we wouldn't expect much street traffic
        passing by.

        I think 10:00 a.m. would be a good time, but I am trying to pick the
        best day of the week to get the most participation. If anyone has
        any input, please let me know. I would like to set the time and
        the first scheduled day.

        Yvonne

        > Thanks for your welcome, you don't know how happy that makes me.
        I wasn't sure I would get a response. Thanks. I understand "busy,"
        we are pretty much going through that ourselves with the moving and
        selling of our home, that we've been living in for the past 10
        years. It's a task, I'll tell you.

        > How nice that you have chickens and goats. I'd like to get some
        chickens/goats myself, once we get situated. I love goat cheese,
        never made it myself, but would like to learn the process.

        > A park day would be a great start. I don't know the name of the
        park, but there is a very nice one off of Hadley. It's the area
        where different baseball, soccer teams play. This place has shaded
        picnic tables and a large area for our kids to play. I've been
        there several times and my daughter always wants to return.

        > I am looking forward to meeting you and your children.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Leticia Werner

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • roquemoma
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 28 8:50 AM
          Leticia-
          We're busy on Fridays, but any other day should be fine. I can't
          committ to a weekly park day at this point in my life, but I will come
          when I can. Also, you (and anyone else who's interested) should check
          out the Meetup.com website, and look for homeschool meetups in Las
          Cruces. There's a great lady, Dianna, who has been organizing weekly
          park days and field trips. There are several families with preschool
          age children like your son that attend those park days.
          Rachel
        • roquemoma
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 28 8:57 AM
            Oops, it looks like I should have addressed my last post to Yvette, not
            Leticia. Well this is a reply to Leticia. I'm sure my girls will love
            to meet your daughter. You said you'd like to have some goats and
            chickens, do you have a property picked out yet? What area of town are
            you looking at? We live behind A mountain, and while animals are
            allowed here, not very many of our neighbors have them, so we hope
            nobody complains about us. I hear rumours that there are other
            homeschooling families that live out here, but I haven't been able to
            find them yet. We look forward to meeting you guys!
            Rachel
          • yduhigg
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 29 1:18 PM
              Rachel,

              Thanks for the information. I have joined the Las Cruces Homeschool
              Playgroup Meet up and have noticed their calendar has a lot of
              activities. I don't want to duplicate efforts, so I am going to hold
              off on starting a Park Day and see if Diana needs any help in getting
              more participation in her meet ups.

              Yvonne
            • roquemoma
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30 7:49 AM
                Great! And I volunteered to host an activity out here at my house so
                the kids can play with our chicks and goats, so maybe I'll meet you
                when that happens.
                Rachel

                > Thanks for the information. I have joined the Las Cruces Homeschool
                > Playgroup Meet up and have noticed their calendar has a lot of
                > activities. I don't want to duplicate efforts, so I am going to hold
                > off on starting a Park Day and see if Diana needs any help in getting
                > more participation in her meet ups.
                >
                > Yvonne

              • leticiawerner
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30 8:27 AM
                  Hi Rachel,

                  It's going to be tough looking for property, since the price of
                  property in the Valley is very high for our price range. We're
                  looking for something comprobable to what we now have south of
                  Albuquerque. We were in Las Cruces this weekend and found beautiful
                  property in San Miguel. It's going for 32K/acre. While in Mesilla
                  Park, 2-acres are hard to find and too high in price, 1-acre
                  lot/70k, and still have to build your own house. The east part of
                  Las Cruces is nice, but I really have my heart set on the Valley by
                  the Rio Grande. I grew up in Stahmann's Farms just south of Las
                  Cruces with all the pecan orchards surrounding me and the river
                  within walking distance. My parents have 2 acres in Mesilla Park
                  with a pecan orchard, and I really love it out there. We've got
                  alot of searching to do.

                  I doubt your neighbors would complain about animals like your goats,
                  and chickens. I would advise you not to put any pigs though, they
                  are pretty stinky. My current neighbor has pigs and a portion of
                  our property is extremely foul smelling with flies galore. The
                  steer, goat, and chickens are fine but the pigs are pretty awful.
                  The stinch smell travels far.

                  I know the homeschool groups here in Albuquerque and surrounding
                  areas are huge. They have so many things going, it's unbelievable.
                  I do hope we can connect with more groups out there in Cruces.

                  Leticia