Re: How do I get started?

  • roquemoma
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23 12:30 PM
      Congratulations, you're starting an adventure! There are SO many
      different kinds of curriculums out there to use, it all depends on your
      kids learning style and your teaching style. Definitely give yourself
      and the kids the summer to sort of ease into this big change in your
      life, and to investigate and decide on what sort of approach you want
      to take. Our main framework comes from http://www.amblesideonline,
      which is a literature based curriculum using the philosophies of
      Charlotte Mason. The site has good explanations of who she is and how
      her philosophies work. I also love the book "The Well Trained Mind" by
      Susan Wise Bauer and Jesse Wise. I use a lot of her curriculum
      suggestions as well. If you go to http://www.rainbowresource.com they
      sell almost every curriculum out there, and they have good reviews of
      each curriculum. The main thing to keep in mind is that, according to
      other friends I've had who were former schoolteachers, homeschooling is
      very different than what you're used to. They all say they pulled
      their hair out at first trying to duplicate the classroom at home,
      making themselves and their kids miserable, until they gradually worked
      into routines and methods that were more suited to their new
      situation. Email me anytime if you have any specific questions, I'd be
      happy to share what's worked / not worked for us and our friends.
      Rachel
      --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "daisymayofla"

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23 12:48 PM
        In regard to New Mexico law, to get started you need to visit

        http://www.nmhomeschools.org/

        and fill out a Notification Form to declare that you are beginning to
        home school. Then you renew once a year before April 1.

        Keep the form for your records (it can also help you get an educator's
        discount card from Barnes and Nobles if you want to buy any books
        there to help in your homeschooling).

        We have a daughter aged 7 and a son aged 2 1/2 that my wife homeschools.

        I hope that helps.

        Let us know if you have any other questions.

        Bruce