How do I get started?

  • daisymayofla
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20 9:43 AM
      Kids ar currently in the public system YUCK I have watch them this
      year get way behind where they need to be. Where do I get started and
      how do I order the curriculms for them to use next year. I am a
      certified school teacher with 13 years of classroom experience.
    • roquemoma
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23 12:30 PM
        Congratulations, you're starting an adventure! There are SO many
        different kinds of curriculums out there to use, it all depends on your
        kids learning style and your teaching style. Definitely give yourself
        and the kids the summer to sort of ease into this big change in your
        life, and to investigate and decide on what sort of approach you want
        to take. Our main framework comes from http://www.amblesideonline,
        which is a literature based curriculum using the philosophies of
        Charlotte Mason. The site has good explanations of who she is and how
        her philosophies work. I also love the book "The Well Trained Mind" by
        Susan Wise Bauer and Jesse Wise. I use a lot of her curriculum
        suggestions as well. If you go to http://www.rainbowresource.com they
        sell almost every curriculum out there, and they have good reviews of
        each curriculum. The main thing to keep in mind is that, according to
        other friends I've had who were former schoolteachers, homeschooling is
        very different than what you're used to. They all say they pulled
        their hair out at first trying to duplicate the classroom at home,
        making themselves and their kids miserable, until they gradually worked
        into routines and methods that were more suited to their new
        situation. Email me anytime if you have any specific questions, I'd be
        happy to share what's worked / not worked for us and our friends.
        Rachel
        --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "daisymayofla"

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23 12:48 PM
          In regard to New Mexico law, to get started you need to visit

          http://www.nmhomeschools.org/

          and fill out a Notification Form to declare that you are beginning to
          home school. Then you renew once a year before April 1.

          Keep the form for your records (it can also help you get an educator's
          discount card from Barnes and Nobles if you want to buy any books
          there to help in your homeschooling).

          We have a daughter aged 7 and a son aged 2 1/2 that my wife homeschools.

          I hope that helps.

          Let us know if you have any other questions.

          Bruce