New Girl in Town

  • leticiawerner
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 17, 2007
      Hi, I'm glad to know there are some homeschool groups out there in
      Cruces. I currently live in Albuquerque but will be moving to Las
      Cruces in May 2007. My husband and I have an 8 year old daughter (our
      one and only)whom is learning at home. We would like to find out if
      this group has park days, field trips, etc... I guess we could
      continue looking in the Forum for new postings etc... Looking forward
      to moving back to my hometown.
    • roquemoma
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23, 2007
        Welcome Leticia! I have two girls, 6 and 8, and a 3 year old boy.
        We're fairly new to Las Cruces ourselves and still trying to meet other
        homeschoolers. There isn't a lot of activity on this list, but there
        are a few things going on that are harder to find. I've been meaning
        to plan some activities myself but have been swamped with chickens and
        goats. We moved here so we could have animals, and it's been a lot of
        fun, but it's taken a lot more of my free time than I realized. Let us
        know when you get here, we'd love to meet you for a park day.
        Rachel

        --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "leticiawerner"
        <leticiawerner@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I'm glad to know there are some homeschool groups out there in
        > Cruces. I currently live in Albuquerque but will be moving to Las
        > Cruces in May 2007. My husband and I have an 8 year old daughter
        (our
        > one and only)whom is learning at home. We would like to find out if
        > this group has park days, field trips, etc... I guess we could
        > continue looking in the Forum for new postings etc... Looking
        forward
        > to moving back to my hometown.

      • yduhigg
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
          Hi Rachel, I saw your respone to Leticia about having a hard time
          finding time to plan activities. I have a 3 year old son as well,
          and am having a little trouble getting "connected" with other
          homeschoolers. A Park Day would be perfect. I run a business from
          my home so I have time constraints as well, but if we work together
          on some activities and recruit some other parents, we can get some
          things started. Would you (or anyone else out there) be interested
          in a Park Day for any homeschooling family that wishes to attend and
          for all age children. My thought would be to start one in right away
          in May.

          Yvonne

          --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "roquemoma"
          <teachingmama8@...> wrote:

          > Welcome Leticia! I have two girls, 6 and 8, and a 3 year old
          boy.
          > We're fairly new to Las Cruces ourselves and still trying to meet
          other
          > homeschoolers. There isn't a lot of activity on this list, but
          there
          > are a few things going on that are harder to find. I've been
          meaning
          > to plan some activities myself but have been swamped with chickens
          and
          > goats. We moved here so we could have animals, and it's been a
          lot of
          > fun, but it's taken a lot more of my free time than I realized.
          Let us
          > know when you get here, we'd love to meet you for a park day.
          > Rachel
          >
          > --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "leticiawerner"
          > <leticiawerner@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, I'm glad to know there are some homeschool groups out there
          in
          > > Cruces. I currently live in Albuquerque but will be moving to
          Las
          > > Cruces in May 2007. My husband and I have an 8 year old
          daughter
          > (our
          > > one and only)whom is learning at home. We would like to find
          out if
          > > this group has park days, field trips, etc... I guess we could
          > > continue looking in the Forum for new postings etc... Looking
          > forward
          > > to moving back to my hometown.

        • Leticia Werner
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 27, 2007
            Rachel,

            Thanks for your welcome, you don't know how happy that makes me.  I wasn't sure I would get a response.  Thanks.  I understand "busy," we are pretty much going through that ourselves with the moving and selling of our home, that we've been living in for the past 10 years. It's a task, I'll tell you.

            How nice that you have chickens and goats.  I'd like to get some chickens/goats myself, once we get situated.  I love goat cheese, never made it myself, but would like to learn the process.

            A park day would be a great start.  I don't know the name of the park, but there is a very nice one off of Hadley.  It's the area where different baseball, soccer teams play.  This place has shaded picnic tables and a large area for our kids to play.  I've been there several times and my daughter always wants to return.

            I am looking forward to meeting you and your children.

            Sincerely,
            Leticia Werner

            Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.
          • yduhigg
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 27, 2007
              Rachel & Leticia--- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Leticia
              Werner <leticiawerner@...> wrote:

              > Rachel, Leticia & Whoever Else is Interested in a Las Cruces Home
              School Park Day,

              I would like to start Park Day for any interested home schooling
              family and for all ages the week of May 7th. There is a nice park
              in the Four Hills Subdivision on the corner of Mars & Lunaridge. If
              you take Del Rey (where Ashly Furniture is) you would make a right
              on Mars until you see the park on the left at Lunaridge. It has two
              fields, a playground, benches, picnic tables and plenty of shade.
              It is also in an area that we wouldn't expect much street traffic
              passing by.

              I think 10:00 a.m. would be a good time, but I am trying to pick the
              best day of the week to get the most participation. If anyone has
              any input, please let me know. I would like to set the time and
              the first scheduled day.

              Yvonne

              > Thanks for your welcome, you don't know how happy that makes me.
              I wasn't sure I would get a response. Thanks. I understand "busy,"
              we are pretty much going through that ourselves with the moving and
              selling of our home, that we've been living in for the past 10
              years. It's a task, I'll tell you.

              > How nice that you have chickens and goats. I'd like to get some
              chickens/goats myself, once we get situated. I love goat cheese,
              never made it myself, but would like to learn the process.

              > A park day would be a great start. I don't know the name of the
              park, but there is a very nice one off of Hadley. It's the area
              where different baseball, soccer teams play. This place has shaded
              picnic tables and a large area for our kids to play. I've been
              there several times and my daughter always wants to return.

              > I am looking forward to meeting you and your children.
              >
              > Sincerely,
              > Leticia Werner

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • roquemoma
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 28, 2007
                Leticia-
                We're busy on Fridays, but any other day should be fine. I can't
                committ to a weekly park day at this point in my life, but I will come
                when I can. Also, you (and anyone else who's interested) should check
                out the Meetup.com website, and look for homeschool meetups in Las
                Cruces. There's a great lady, Dianna, who has been organizing weekly
                park days and field trips. There are several families with preschool
                age children like your son that attend those park days.
                Rachel
              • roquemoma
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 28, 2007
                  Oops, it looks like I should have addressed my last post to Yvette, not
                  Leticia. Well this is a reply to Leticia. I'm sure my girls will love
                  to meet your daughter. You said you'd like to have some goats and
                  chickens, do you have a property picked out yet? What area of town are
                  you looking at? We live behind A mountain, and while animals are
                  allowed here, not very many of our neighbors have them, so we hope
                  nobody complains about us. I hear rumours that there are other
                  homeschooling families that live out here, but I haven't been able to
                  find them yet. We look forward to meeting you guys!
                  Rachel
                • yduhigg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 29, 2007
                    Rachel,

                    Thanks for the information. I have joined the Las Cruces Homeschool
                    Playgroup Meet up and have noticed their calendar has a lot of
                    activities. I don't want to duplicate efforts, so I am going to hold
                    off on starting a Park Day and see if Diana needs any help in getting
                    more participation in her meet ups.

                    Yvonne
                  • roquemoma
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
                      Great! And I volunteered to host an activity out here at my house so
                      the kids can play with our chicks and goats, so maybe I'll meet you
                      when that happens.
                      Rachel

                      > Thanks for the information. I have joined the Las Cruces Homeschool
                      > Playgroup Meet up and have noticed their calendar has a lot of
                      > activities. I don't want to duplicate efforts, so I am going to hold
                      > off on starting a Park Day and see if Diana needs any help in getting
                      > more participation in her meet ups.
                      >
                      > Yvonne

                    • leticiawerner
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 30, 2007
                        Hi Rachel,

                        It's going to be tough looking for property, since the price of
                        property in the Valley is very high for our price range. We're
                        looking for something comprobable to what we now have south of
                        Albuquerque. We were in Las Cruces this weekend and found beautiful
                        property in San Miguel. It's going for 32K/acre. While in Mesilla
                        Park, 2-acres are hard to find and too high in price, 1-acre
                        lot/70k, and still have to build your own house. The east part of
                        Las Cruces is nice, but I really have my heart set on the Valley by
                        the Rio Grande. I grew up in Stahmann's Farms just south of Las
                        Cruces with all the pecan orchards surrounding me and the river
                        within walking distance. My parents have 2 acres in Mesilla Park
                        with a pecan orchard, and I really love it out there. We've got
                        alot of searching to do.

                        I doubt your neighbors would complain about animals like your goats,
                        and chickens. I would advise you not to put any pigs though, they
                        are pretty stinky. My current neighbor has pigs and a portion of
                        our property is extremely foul smelling with flies galore. The
                        steer, goat, and chickens are fine but the pigs are pretty awful.
                        The stinch smell travels far.

                        I know the homeschool groups here in Albuquerque and surrounding
                        areas are huge. They have so many things going, it's unbelievable.
                        I do hope we can connect with more groups out there in Cruces.

                        Leticia