Re: trying to make contact with other homeschoolers

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 20, 2007
      Hi Rachel,

      We would be interested in a park day or an all-ages hike.

      We homeschool a daughter (age 7) and have a son (age 2 1/2).

      What kind of animals do you have? We have a dog, a cat and 6 rabbits.

      Anyway let us know if you plan a park day and we will try to be there.
      The weather is great right now for one!

      Bruce

      --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "roquemoma"
      <teachingmama8@...> wrote:

      > I'm sorry, I thought I was privately emailing Melissa, I didn't mean to
      > post this complaining sounding message to the loop. I was having a bit
      > of a pity party one night this week, but I have a better perspective on
      > it now. I think I've been so busy getting settled into our new home
      > and getting started with our animals and stuff that I haven't followed
      > up on the few connections I've found. I've been looking for an
      > established group with regular activities that would just take me in
      > with open arms, but it looks like maybe I should put more effort in,
      > maybe plan some things myself.
      >
      > Is there interest out there in a regular park day? If people are
      > interested I'll plan it. We also talked about doing an all ages family
      > hike when the weather is nice. It's pretty nice now if we can avoid a
      > windy day? Dripping springs has a nice picnic area, and a hiking trail
      > that has benches every quarter of a mile. What day of the week would
      > be good? Would anyone be interested in a Saturday hike so that dads/
      > working spouses could come?
      > Rachel

    • roquemoma
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
        Hey Bruce,
        We've been going through a cycle of the flu, and between that and
        coping with the arrival of nearly 60 baby chicks I haven't been
        checking my email diligently. My girls (ages 6 and 8) would love to
        meet your daughter. We're going to be out of town this next week,
        but when we get back I'll plan something.

        Also, you asked about our animals. We have three adult laying hens,
        the aforementioned 59 baby chicks, who are growing at an alarming
        rate, two cats, and an Australian shepherd dog. While we are in Las
        Vegas next week we're picking up two Nygerian dwarf goats from a
        friend of ours, one girl and her brother, who is a whether (castrated
        male). The girl we'll eventually milk, and her brother is just there
        to keep her company. We'd like to add more goats later on, at least
        one more to milk, and a couple of larger ones to train as pack goats,
        and maybe a donkey or burro because they're supposed to be great
        guard animals and coyotes are a concern for us. And of course the
        kids would like a horse, but I need to work my way up. The chickens
        are overwhelming enough for now, I can't imagine caring for an animal
        as large as a horse, as fun as that would be.

        I'll look forward to meeting you and your family!
        Rachel
      • AMI SEGNA
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
          Do you know anyone in the area with pygmy goats? We have twin girls, about
          eight weeks old (SO cute!) and we want to find a male to breed them with -
          but everyone in this area seems to be related! We got them from Sharon
          Loveland in Boles Acres. How do the Nigerian dwarf goats compare, as far as
          size?