curricula, free books, etc.

  • Heather Rische
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2006
      Hi all- I just wanted to let those of you who have kids just learning to read that I have two big boxes of these tiny reader books (the name escapes me) where each little book has a sound that is the theme "Matt sat on his hat, and had a bad day" (they're actually a lot more fun than that) or... hmmm- there is an "ay" book and "ar" book, etc. I probably have 20 complete sets of these left, and they really helped my son's confidence level in reading: he read a whole book himself! and another! and another! (now, just a few years later he's reading at a high school level, but he *was* a "late" bloomer in the reading dept.) They are at my work (The Co-op/mountain view market in las cruces) so just come in and ask for me- I'm happy to hand the 2 boxes over to someone who will promise to share them with you all, or dole them out- I really need to get rid of them! My workspace is bad enough!

      As far as curricula, we've used Oak Meadow, Saxon Math, Singapore Science, whatever workbooks looked good from alpha teaching tools for spelling/grammar, various extra curricular activities, and we love the cartoon history books *if* you're okay with the maturity level (this is a suggestion for older kids) as a way of getting an overview of history (there are some holes, though). The cartoon guides to chemistry and phsics provided better indepth info than the text book we had, so go figure. I also get a lot of good ideas from a national listserve for parents of talented and gifted homeschoolers called TAGMAX from St. John's University. If anyone is interested in that, let me know. Best of luck to you all, and if anyone wants my opinions on any of the curricula we've used, just let me know.

      Heather Rische, LM, CPM
      Special Projects Manager
      Mountain View Market
      Las Cruces, NM