new member

  • moonmomma55
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
      Hi All,
      My name is melissa my huband and I will be homeschooling our 9 yr old
      this comming year. This is a new espereince for all of us, and we could
      really use some support, and some ideas. When and where are the monthly
      meeting held? I am really excited to meet all of you.
      Namastee,
      Melissa
    • roquemoma
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 9, 2007
        Melissa,
        I was searching through the archives of the LasCruchesHomeschool group
        looking for friendly sounding people and I found your email from last
        July that nobody seemed to have answered. I moved to Las Cruces last
        December and I'm having trouble finding other homeschoolers to hang out
        with. The two biggest groups are evangelical Christian and don't want
        me, and a third group I found doesn't really want new members. Luckily
        I found a really cool group in El Paso who are wonderful, but it would
        be nice to find some others up this way. The ladies in El Paso are
        also starting a Holistic Mamas group that you might be interested in.
        I have two girls ages 6 and 8, and a 3 year old boy. We've been
        homeschooling since birth. I'm into homebirth and all the natural
        stuff. If you'd like to get together email me or call me 522-5510.
        Thanks,
        Rachel
      • roquemoma
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 10, 2007
          I'm sorry, I thought I was privately emailing Melissa, I didn't mean to
          post this complaining sounding message to the loop. I was having a bit
          of a pity party one night this week, but I have a better perspective on
          it now. I think I've been so busy getting settled into our new home
          and getting started with our animals and stuff that I haven't followed
          up on the few connections I've found. I've been looking for an
          established group with regular activities that would just take me in
          with open arms, but it looks like maybe I should put more effort in,
          maybe plan some things myself.

          Is there interest out there in a regular park day? If people are
          interested I'll plan it. We also talked about doing an all ages family
          hike when the weather is nice. It's pretty nice now if we can avoid a
          windy day? Dripping springs has a nice picnic area, and a hiking trail
          that has benches every quarter of a mile. What day of the week would
          be good? Would anyone be interested in a Saturday hike so that dads/
          working spouses could come?
          Rachel
        • wakeupbenjy
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 12, 2007
            Hi RAchel- So the "All Faiths" group is "ALL Full?" if not, let me
            know, and I'll get you their contact info. I have them at work
            Heather-

            -- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "roquemoma"

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 20, 2007
              Hi Rachel,

              We would be interested in a park day or an all-ages hike.

              We homeschool a daughter (age 7) and have a son (age 2 1/2).

              What kind of animals do you have? We have a dog, a cat and 6 rabbits.

              Anyway let us know if you plan a park day and we will try to be there.
              The weather is great right now for one!

              Bruce

              <teachingmama8@...> wrote:

              > I'm sorry, I thought I was privately emailing Melissa, I didn't mean to
              > post this complaining sounding message to the loop. I was having a bit
              > of a pity party one night this week, but I have a better perspective on
              > it now. I think I've been so busy getting settled into our new home
              > and getting started with our animals and stuff that I haven't followed
              > up on the few connections I've found. I've been looking for an
              > established group with regular activities that would just take me in
              > with open arms, but it looks like maybe I should put more effort in,
              > maybe plan some things myself.
              >
              > Is there interest out there in a regular park day? If people are
              > interested I'll plan it. We also talked about doing an all ages family
              > hike when the weather is nice. It's pretty nice now if we can avoid a
              > windy day? Dripping springs has a nice picnic area, and a hiking trail
              > that has benches every quarter of a mile. What day of the week would
              > be good? Would anyone be interested in a Saturday hike so that dads/
              > working spouses could come?
              > Rachel

            • roquemoma
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                Hey Bruce,
                We've been going through a cycle of the flu, and between that and
                coping with the arrival of nearly 60 baby chicks I haven't been
                checking my email diligently. My girls (ages 6 and 8) would love to
                meet your daughter. We're going to be out of town this next week,
                but when we get back I'll plan something.

                Also, you asked about our animals. We have three adult laying hens,
                the aforementioned 59 baby chicks, who are growing at an alarming
                rate, two cats, and an Australian shepherd dog. While we are in Las
                Vegas next week we're picking up two Nygerian dwarf goats from a
                friend of ours, one girl and her brother, who is a whether (castrated
                male). The girl we'll eventually milk, and her brother is just there
                to keep her company. We'd like to add more goats later on, at least
                one more to milk, and a couple of larger ones to train as pack goats,
                and maybe a donkey or burro because they're supposed to be great
                guard animals and coyotes are a concern for us. And of course the
                kids would like a horse, but I need to work my way up. The chickens
                are overwhelming enough for now, I can't imagine caring for an animal
                as large as a horse, as fun as that would be.

                I'll look forward to meeting you and your family!
                Rachel
              • AMI SEGNA
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                  Do you know anyone in the area with pygmy goats? We have twin girls, about
                  eight weeks old (SO cute!) and we want to find a male to breed them with -
                  but everyone in this area seems to be related! We got them from Sharon
                  Loveland in Boles Acres. How do the Nigerian dwarf goats compare, as far as
                  size?