New Member Intro

  • Amissa Burton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2006
      Hi!
      My name is Amissa, we actually live in El Paso, on the West side. We
      come to Las Cruces almost weekly to shop. I love the Mountain View Co-
      op! We just moved to El Paso in March. I'm from Dallas, my husband
      is originally from here. I have a 6 yo dd and a 3 yo ds. They have
      always been homeschooled ;-) I also taught in public schools and was
      in special ed for awhile. I'm a yoga teacher, and hopefully will be
      finished with my home studio so I can start classes by September. I
      teach all ages, including kids, Prenatal and Postnatal, as well as a
      Family Yoga class. I'm also a Girl Scout leader... LOL I like to
      stay busy... We go to the UU here in El Paso... and love it. I plan
      on hosting several co-ops in the Fall. I've already planned a 3-7 yr
      old one and I will be planning a once a month History themed one
      (based on Story of the World) and I'm hoping to start a Roots and
      Shoots Group as well (which would take care of Science! LOL) Maybe a
      Book Club too....
      We enjoyed a large homeschool group in Dallas and had lots of
      opprtunity for co-ops and field trips and I'm pretty pro-active, so I
      can't wait to have those resources here!
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2006
        Welcome, Amissa! I have a 7-year-old DS and a 2-year-old DD. They will be
        turning 8 and 3 in September. It sounds like you know how to keep yourself
        busy! Those are some great co-op plans. We are in a co-op that does
        twice-a-week PE, monthly field trips, and monthly co-ops. It is very laid
        back. Keep us informed of all your plans!

        Melani
      • roquemoma
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2006
          Hi my name is Rachel and our family will be moving to Las Cruces in
          November. We currently live in Las Vegas, NV and can't wait to get to
          a smaller friendlier place. I have three children, dd 7, dd 6, ds 2.
          We are eclectic homeschoolers, I love to research things to death, so
          I draw inspiration from many sources- Waldorf, Charlotte Mason, Well
          Trained Mind, Thomas Jefferson Education, and most recently David
          Albert's "And the Skylark Sings with Me". We're more or less
          following the AmblesideOnline readings and schedule (Charlotte Mason)
          with Story of the World and First Language Lessons (Well Trained
          Mind). We use Making Math Meaningful, which I LOVE, Rosetta Stone for
          Spanish, and the kids have lots of time for imaginative play with
          handmade dolls and hand dyed silks and a few choice wooden toys-
          probably the most lasting echo of my Waldorf phase. We (my husband
          and I) try to lead by example, reading classics by ourselves and to
          the kids, and always learning new things ourselves (Thomas Jefferson).

          We have a couple of chickens in our teeny tiny yard here in Las Vegas,
          and we're hoping to be able to find a place where we can add more
          chickens, some goats, and maybe later a horse and cow. We've already
          been househunting on Realtor.com, but if anyone knows of anything
          under $250,000 fitting that description let me know.

          It looks like you guys have some neat things going on, and I can't
          wait to join you. It helps my kids to be able to tell them some of
          the activities they can expect when they get there, so they have
          something to look forward to.
          Thanks,
          Rachel