Re: new member

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 23, 2006
      Hi Ami,

      Glad to hear from you and about your homeschooling group. How old are
      your homeschoolers?

      We will look forward to meeting you sometime!

      Bruce

      --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "amisegna" <amisegna1@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi! My name is Ami Segna, and I am the moderator of
      > alamogordohomeschoolers at Yahoo - also a small group, just getting
      > started. I am the Children's Librarian at the Alamogordo Public
      > Library, as well as a homeschooling Mom and former public school
      > teacher. I'm hoping our groups can share info about opportunities in
      > our respective areas, since we are so close (and we all go to Cruces to
      > shop anyway!) Who knows, if we get a little bigger, maybe we can plan
      > some things together! Looking forward to getting to know you all.

    • ami segna
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 24, 2006
        I am homeschooling my 16-year-old daughter. We do foster care and are hoping to adopt, we'll homeschool any kids we get long-term. There is a mix on our yahoo group, and I see all ages at the library, where I work.

        Thanks for the welcome! How old are yours?

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 9, 2006
          Hi Ami,

          My daughter is 6 years old. We also go to a homeschool coop that
          meets at Mesilla Park Community Center on Bell on the third Friday of
          each month at 10:30 am. There are all ages, but not really any 16 and
          up as far as I recall, but if you are interested the March meeting is
          coming up soon (although it is quite a drive from Alamagordo).

          <amisegna1@...> wrote:

          > I am homeschooling my 16-year-old daughter. We do foster care and
          are hoping to adopt, we'll homeschool any kids we get long-term. There
          is a mix on our yahoo group, and I see all ages at the library, where
          I work.

          > Thanks for the welcome! How old are yours?

          Service.

        • moonmomma55
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 6 1:08 PM
            Hi All,
            My name is melissa my huband and I will be homeschooling our 9 yr old
            this comming year. This is a new espereince for all of us, and we could
            really use some support, and some ideas. When and where are the monthly
            meeting held? I am really excited to meet all of you.
            Namastee,
            Melissa
          • roquemoma
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 9, 2007
              Melissa,
              I was searching through the archives of the LasCruchesHomeschool group
              looking for friendly sounding people and I found your email from last
              July that nobody seemed to have answered. I moved to Las Cruces last
              December and I'm having trouble finding other homeschoolers to hang out
              with. The two biggest groups are evangelical Christian and don't want
              me, and a third group I found doesn't really want new members. Luckily
              I found a really cool group in El Paso who are wonderful, but it would
              be nice to find some others up this way. The ladies in El Paso are
              also starting a Holistic Mamas group that you might be interested in.
              I have two girls ages 6 and 8, and a 3 year old boy. We've been
              homeschooling since birth. I'm into homebirth and all the natural
              stuff. If you'd like to get together email me or call me 522-5510.
              Thanks,
              Rachel
            • roquemoma
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 10, 2007
                I'm sorry, I thought I was privately emailing Melissa, I didn't mean to
                post this complaining sounding message to the loop. I was having a bit
                of a pity party one night this week, but I have a better perspective on
                it now. I think I've been so busy getting settled into our new home
                and getting started with our animals and stuff that I haven't followed
                up on the few connections I've found. I've been looking for an
                established group with regular activities that would just take me in
                with open arms, but it looks like maybe I should put more effort in,
                maybe plan some things myself.

                Is there interest out there in a regular park day? If people are
                interested I'll plan it. We also talked about doing an all ages family
                hike when the weather is nice. It's pretty nice now if we can avoid a
                windy day? Dripping springs has a nice picnic area, and a hiking trail
                that has benches every quarter of a mile. What day of the week would
                be good? Would anyone be interested in a Saturday hike so that dads/
                working spouses could come?
                Rachel
              • wakeupbenjy
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 12, 2007
                  Hi RAchel- So the "All Faiths" group is "ALL Full?" if not, let me
                  know, and I'll get you their contact info. I have them at work
                  Heather-

                  -- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "roquemoma"

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 20, 2007
                    Hi Rachel,

                    We would be interested in a park day or an all-ages hike.

                    We homeschool a daughter (age 7) and have a son (age 2 1/2).

                    What kind of animals do you have? We have a dog, a cat and 6 rabbits.

                    Anyway let us know if you plan a park day and we will try to be there.
                    The weather is great right now for one!

                    Bruce

                    <teachingmama8@...> wrote:

                    > I'm sorry, I thought I was privately emailing Melissa, I didn't mean to
                    > post this complaining sounding message to the loop. I was having a bit
                    > of a pity party one night this week, but I have a better perspective on
                    > it now. I think I've been so busy getting settled into our new home
                    > and getting started with our animals and stuff that I haven't followed
                    > up on the few connections I've found. I've been looking for an
                    > established group with regular activities that would just take me in
                    > with open arms, but it looks like maybe I should put more effort in,
                    > maybe plan some things myself.
                    >
                    > Is there interest out there in a regular park day? If people are
                    > interested I'll plan it. We also talked about doing an all ages family
                    > hike when the weather is nice. It's pretty nice now if we can avoid a
                    > windy day? Dripping springs has a nice picnic area, and a hiking trail
                    > that has benches every quarter of a mile. What day of the week would
                    > be good? Would anyone be interested in a Saturday hike so that dads/
                    > working spouses could come?
                    > Rachel

                  • roquemoma
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                      Hey Bruce,
                      We've been going through a cycle of the flu, and between that and
                      coping with the arrival of nearly 60 baby chicks I haven't been
                      checking my email diligently. My girls (ages 6 and 8) would love to
                      meet your daughter. We're going to be out of town this next week,
                      but when we get back I'll plan something.

                      Also, you asked about our animals. We have three adult laying hens,
                      the aforementioned 59 baby chicks, who are growing at an alarming
                      rate, two cats, and an Australian shepherd dog. While we are in Las
                      Vegas next week we're picking up two Nygerian dwarf goats from a
                      friend of ours, one girl and her brother, who is a whether (castrated
                      male). The girl we'll eventually milk, and her brother is just there
                      to keep her company. We'd like to add more goats later on, at least
                      one more to milk, and a couple of larger ones to train as pack goats,
                      and maybe a donkey or burro because they're supposed to be great
                      guard animals and coyotes are a concern for us. And of course the
                      kids would like a horse, but I need to work my way up. The chickens
                      are overwhelming enough for now, I can't imagine caring for an animal
                      as large as a horse, as fun as that would be.

                      I'll look forward to meeting you and your family!
                      Rachel
                    • AMI SEGNA
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                        Do you know anyone in the area with pygmy goats? We have twin girls, about
                        eight weeks old (SO cute!) and we want to find a male to breed them with -
                        but everyone in this area seems to be related! We got them from Sharon
                        Loveland in Boles Acres. How do the Nigerian dwarf goats compare, as far as
                        size?