RE: [lascruceshomeschool] new member

  • Renee Beltran
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 21 7:17 AM
      Welcome! I'm glad you sought us out. You're absolutely right, sharing info.
      is always good. :)

      Renee

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 23 7:58 AM
        I just wanted to invite you all to A Children's Theatre of the Mesilla
        Valley's performances this weekend. There are 5 homeschooled kiddos
        participating this year!

        The evening performances for the public are this Friday and Saturday night
        at 7pm. The tickets cost $5 each. We've also had a cancellation for our
        12:30pm performance on Friday, so there is room for homeschoolers to attend.
        That performance is $2 per person. All the performance are at the Mesilla
        Park Recreation Center on 300 W. Bell.

        There will be 4 short plays performed by local children, a jazz band, and
        the Las Cruces High School Performing Dance. It all lasts just about an
        hour.

        We'd love to have you there!

        Melani More
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 23 1:43 PM
          Hi Ami,

          Glad to hear from you and about your homeschooling group. How old are
          your homeschoolers?

          We will look forward to meeting you sometime!

          Bruce

          --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "amisegna" <amisegna1@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi! My name is Ami Segna, and I am the moderator of
          > alamogordohomeschoolers at Yahoo - also a small group, just getting
          > started. I am the Children's Librarian at the Alamogordo Public
          > Library, as well as a homeschooling Mom and former public school
          > teacher. I'm hoping our groups can share info about opportunities in
          > our respective areas, since we are so close (and we all go to Cruces to
          > shop anyway!) Who knows, if we get a little bigger, maybe we can plan
          > some things together! Looking forward to getting to know you all.

        • ami segna
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24 7:36 PM
            I am homeschooling my 16-year-old daughter. We do foster care and are hoping to adopt, we'll homeschool any kids we get long-term. There is a mix on our yahoo group, and I see all ages at the library, where I work.

            Thanks for the welcome! How old are yours?

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 9, 2006
              Hi Ami,

              My daughter is 6 years old. We also go to a homeschool coop that
              meets at Mesilla Park Community Center on Bell on the third Friday of
              each month at 10:30 am. There are all ages, but not really any 16 and
              up as far as I recall, but if you are interested the March meeting is
              coming up soon (although it is quite a drive from Alamagordo).

              <amisegna1@...> wrote:

              > I am homeschooling my 16-year-old daughter. We do foster care and
              are hoping to adopt, we'll homeschool any kids we get long-term. There
              is a mix on our yahoo group, and I see all ages at the library, where
              I work.

              > Thanks for the welcome! How old are yours?

              Service.

            • moonmomma55
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6, 2006
                Hi All,
                My name is melissa my huband and I will be homeschooling our 9 yr old
                this comming year. This is a new espereince for all of us, and we could
                really use some support, and some ideas. When and where are the monthly
                meeting held? I am really excited to meet all of you.
                Namastee,
                Melissa
              • roquemoma
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 9, 2007
                  Melissa,
                  I was searching through the archives of the LasCruchesHomeschool group
                  looking for friendly sounding people and I found your email from last
                  July that nobody seemed to have answered. I moved to Las Cruces last
                  December and I'm having trouble finding other homeschoolers to hang out
                  with. The two biggest groups are evangelical Christian and don't want
                  me, and a third group I found doesn't really want new members. Luckily
                  I found a really cool group in El Paso who are wonderful, but it would
                  be nice to find some others up this way. The ladies in El Paso are
                  also starting a Holistic Mamas group that you might be interested in.
                  I have two girls ages 6 and 8, and a 3 year old boy. We've been
                  homeschooling since birth. I'm into homebirth and all the natural
                  stuff. If you'd like to get together email me or call me 522-5510.
                  Thanks,
                  Rachel
                • roquemoma
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 10, 2007
                    I'm sorry, I thought I was privately emailing Melissa, I didn't mean to
                    post this complaining sounding message to the loop. I was having a bit
                    of a pity party one night this week, but I have a better perspective on
                    it now. I think I've been so busy getting settled into our new home
                    and getting started with our animals and stuff that I haven't followed
                    up on the few connections I've found. I've been looking for an
                    established group with regular activities that would just take me in
                    with open arms, but it looks like maybe I should put more effort in,
                    maybe plan some things myself.

                    Is there interest out there in a regular park day? If people are
                    interested I'll plan it. We also talked about doing an all ages family
                    hike when the weather is nice. It's pretty nice now if we can avoid a
                    windy day? Dripping springs has a nice picnic area, and a hiking trail
                    that has benches every quarter of a mile. What day of the week would
                    be good? Would anyone be interested in a Saturday hike so that dads/
                    working spouses could come?
                    Rachel
                  • wakeupbenjy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 12, 2007
                      Hi RAchel- So the "All Faiths" group is "ALL Full?" if not, let me
                      know, and I'll get you their contact info. I have them at work
                      Heather-

                      -- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "roquemoma"

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 20, 2007
                        Hi Rachel,

                        We would be interested in a park day or an all-ages hike.

                        We homeschool a daughter (age 7) and have a son (age 2 1/2).

                        What kind of animals do you have? We have a dog, a cat and 6 rabbits.

                        Anyway let us know if you plan a park day and we will try to be there.
                        The weather is great right now for one!

                        Bruce

                        <teachingmama8@...> wrote:

                        > I'm sorry, I thought I was privately emailing Melissa, I didn't mean to
                        > post this complaining sounding message to the loop. I was having a bit
                        > of a pity party one night this week, but I have a better perspective on
                        > it now. I think I've been so busy getting settled into our new home
                        > and getting started with our animals and stuff that I haven't followed
                        > up on the few connections I've found. I've been looking for an
                        > established group with regular activities that would just take me in
                        > with open arms, but it looks like maybe I should put more effort in,
                        > maybe plan some things myself.
                        >
                        > Is there interest out there in a regular park day? If people are
                        > interested I'll plan it. We also talked about doing an all ages family
                        > hike when the weather is nice. It's pretty nice now if we can avoid a
                        > windy day? Dripping springs has a nice picnic area, and a hiking trail
                        > that has benches every quarter of a mile. What day of the week would
                        > be good? Would anyone be interested in a Saturday hike so that dads/
                        > working spouses could come?
                        > Rachel

                      • roquemoma
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                          Hey Bruce,
                          We've been going through a cycle of the flu, and between that and
                          coping with the arrival of nearly 60 baby chicks I haven't been
                          checking my email diligently. My girls (ages 6 and 8) would love to
                          meet your daughter. We're going to be out of town this next week,
                          but when we get back I'll plan something.

                          Also, you asked about our animals. We have three adult laying hens,
                          the aforementioned 59 baby chicks, who are growing at an alarming
                          rate, two cats, and an Australian shepherd dog. While we are in Las
                          Vegas next week we're picking up two Nygerian dwarf goats from a
                          friend of ours, one girl and her brother, who is a whether (castrated
                          male). The girl we'll eventually milk, and her brother is just there
                          to keep her company. We'd like to add more goats later on, at least
                          one more to milk, and a couple of larger ones to train as pack goats,
                          and maybe a donkey or burro because they're supposed to be great
                          guard animals and coyotes are a concern for us. And of course the
                          kids would like a horse, but I need to work my way up. The chickens
                          are overwhelming enough for now, I can't imagine caring for an animal
                          as large as a horse, as fun as that would be.

                          I'll look forward to meeting you and your family!
                          Rachel
                        • AMI SEGNA
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 4, 2007
                            Do you know anyone in the area with pygmy goats? We have twin girls, about
                            eight weeks old (SO cute!) and we want to find a male to breed them with -
                            but everyone in this area seems to be related! We got them from Sharon
                            Loveland in Boles Acres. How do the Nigerian dwarf goats compare, as far as
                            size?