New to home schooling

  • bus_driver_23
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
      Hi, we decided to home-school, we have the books and now it seems
      overwhelming, any ideas on how to jump in? Also my girls are
      14,15,16. Does your group have activites for these ages?

      Thanks,
      Trilby
    • ekcfrench@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
        Hi!

        I decided to homeschool also after the death of my son's teacher, which he's really having a hard time accepting. I too have the books and lots of encouragement, but I'm lost as to where to begin and frightened that I'll mess it up. My son is 9, in 3rd grade (held back in 1st), and he has a speech delay. He's a great kid and could really benefit from some social interaction with other homeschooled kids. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

        Katie

        P.S.: I had a sorority sister named Trilby.

        --
        Life is tough....but I'm tougher

        From: "bus_driver_23" <bus_driver_23@...>
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
          Hi Trilby and Katie,

          There is a group that meets on the third Friday of every month at the
          Mesilla Park Community Center on Bell that has activities for all
          ages. They are not affiliated with this Yahoo! group, but my daughter
          (6) goes to it and I know they have lots of older kids from 16-9 yrs.
          They also meets Wednesdays for PE activities, but we are busy on
          Wednesdays so I don't know where they meet.

          Homeschooling can be challenging and it is hard to know where to
          begin. But we just have to remember that children want to learn and
          we are just facilitators in a way. We just started homeschooling this
          year and the way my wife does it is that she spends about two hours a
          day focused on the things my daughter is more resistant to learning
          (such as addition/subtraction, practice writing and reading). This is
          usually done in the morning, when my daughter is well-rested. In the
          afternoon, my wife needs to focus more on our toddler (nap-time etc.)
          , so my daughter has free time and she plays/flips through books/does
          art and learns things on her own. Don't worry too much about messing
          it up, try something if it isn't working feel free to change it. We
          have a friend who is homeschooling early teen-age boys and she uses
          theme units. She picks something that her boys are interested in or
          that is appropriate to the time of year and they learn about that
          (e.g., MLK day is coming up, maybe a theme might be learning about the
          civil rights movement or the 1960s). They watch some videos about
          that issue or time, read books, discuss, do related activities. But
          they also have a time (I think it is half-a-day twice a week when they
          focus on things like math that the boys are having trouble with).
          Because my friend is a single-mom and has to work, there are also a
          couple of days when the boys are doing their own thing (they go with
          her to her office and take their games/books/etc. that interest them).

          Hope that helps you see a couple of the many ways you could try
          homeschooling.

          Bruce

          --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, ekcfrench@c... wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > I decided to homeschool also after the death of my son's teacher,
          which he's really having a hard time accepting. I too have the books
          and lots of encouragement, but I'm lost as to where to begin and
          frightened that I'll mess it up. My son is 9, in 3rd grade (held back
          in 1st), and he has a speech delay. He's a great kid and could really
          benefit from some social interaction with other homeschooled kids.
          Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

          > Katie
          >
          > P.S.: I had a sorority sister named Trilby.
          >
          > --
          > Life is tough....but I'm tougher

          > From: "bus_driver_23" <bus_driver_23@y...>

        • bus_driver_23
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2006
            Thank you for the information. What time do they meet?

            - In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "huhmannb" <bhuhmann@n...>

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 19, 2006
              Hi, Bruce and Mary. How did your Canada presentation go? I'm sorry we
              missed it, but Brishen had a fever and needed to stay close to home. Were
              there other country presentations?

              Melani
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 23, 2006
                Hi Melani,

                Sorry to hear that Brishen was ill. Hopefully, he's all better now.

                We had presentations on Japan and Canada and played some winter
                Olympic sports. Bobsledding with red wagons racing each other.
                Hockey with hockey sticks and balls. Etc.

                The Canada presentation went well. I showed off my winter coat that I
                would wear half the year and Penelope's snow pants. We talked about
                the money, government, a brief overview of the history, etc. It
                seemed to be well recieved and the kids asked some great questions.

                Thanks for asking,

                Bruce

                --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Melani Daves Moore"
                <meldamo@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Bruce and Mary. How did your Canada presentation go? I'm sorry we
                > missed it, but Brishen had a fever and needed to stay close to home.
                Were
                > there other country presentations?
                >
                > Melani

              • desertrose68