From California to Las Cruces

  • yeseniawatkins
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2013
      Hello everyone,

      My name is Yesenia, right now my family and I are living in California but might be moving to Las Cruces New Mexico by Aug. THe reason why we might be moving is because my husband got accepted with an Assistantship to New Mexico State University for his Masters. At this moment we are trying to research as much as we can about New Mexico. We have a 5 year old who will starting kinder in Sept. and our original plan was to enroll her in the K12 online program but unfortunately they don't have a kinder program for her. After finding this out yesturday I'm a little worried that we might have to send her to public school. So, I was wondering if anyone her can give me some advice on how to get started on homeschooling. What do I have to do first? Where do I get the curriculum from? Where can I get the materials to teach her? I'm only a high school graduate, so can I be her teacher? Do you know of any other online programs in New Mexico, besides K12, that have a kinder program?

      Thank you for you time and I hope I hear from you guys soon.
    • homeschoollascruces
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2013
        Well first off let me welcome you to the State... it is a great state... lots of heat (both temp and in our chili) and a pretty easy place to homeschool.

        First thing is do not worry. If you have a high school diploma you can homeschool in nm.

        A good place to start is ..... www.homeschoool-lc.com
        Then click on the Getting started page.... and it will lead you through web sites that you will need to Home school in NM.

        I will also list most of them below.

        http://www.ped.state.nm.us/homeSchools/index.html

        Main web site for the Department of Public education homeschool site..... you are required to have a HS diploma and shot records for the students.

        As for books It is up to you....... NM does not require any certain book used they suggest the main subject but it is up to you as a parent. the state does no provide any funds for Home School families, so you are on your own, but the local school are (can be ) very helpful if you need services for your child.

        At your childs age, lots of hands on learning and some computer programs or sites would be great and easy to get the core subjects in during the day.

        http://allinonehomeschool.com/

        is a great site to find a laid out already planned curriculum from kinder till 8th grade.. all of it is online and can be printed off if needed.

        There are also a few park/support groups here in Las Cruces that meet for field trips/park days and parent support.

        If you have any other questions feel free to email me or message here and i will help if i can.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2013
          Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, I'm feeling a little better.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2013
            It is not a problem.... besides homeschooling my two kids.... and being a stay at home dad helping homeschoolers in this area is what i Do. I probable should have said it first but my wife and i run the www.homeschool-lc.com site along with the facebook companion site also.

            So if you have any questions i might have the answer but if i do not i will do my best to find it......

            i am on both of those groups also but there is more real people to answer questions on them also.