question about homeschooling in Las Cruces from a new person

  • Holly & Ed
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2005
      Hi!

      We are contemplating a move to Las Cruces. We are a family with young
      kids homeschooling for secular reasons. Is there a large homeschool
      group and/or activities that are not religion based? We are curious
      what type of community we could find there. I would REALLY appreciate
      any information you can give me. Thanks!

      Holly
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2005
        Hi, Holly. Although we are Christian (although I don't necessarily consider
        myself to be a Christian, but my husband is a pastor), we are definitely
        homeschooling for non-religious reasons and feel much more comfortable with
        non-religious homeschoolers than with those doing it for religious reasons.
        The co-op we participate in is not religious. I think many of the families
        that attend are Christian, however they do not do anything religious or
        cover religious topics in any way. I was also told that there are Buddhists
        and others that are part of the group. I honestly don't know who is who or
        what all beliefs are present since that isn't discussed.

        So I guess it depends if you want a group that doesn't include Christians or
        a group that doesn't focus on religion at their get-togethers.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2005
          I know this isn't a religious forum, and we don't want to get into religion,
          but I wanted to clarify my comment about being a Christian. I feel weird
          that I said that I'm not necessarily a Christian. I just have complicated
          and emerging beliefs that are difficult to label. I don't fit the "mold,"
          so I feel strange using that label. Not that you all care. I just wanted
          to clarify a bit for my own sake.

          Melani
        • Holly & Ed
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 14, 2005
            --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Melani Daves Moore"
            <meldamo@c...> wrote:

            Thanks for the response. I meant a group that does not require a
            belief in any particular religion to be part of the group. Thanks!