Re: New Homeschooler

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
      Hi Tawny,

      What age is your daughter. Mine is almost 6 years years old. There
      is a group that meets on the third Friday of every month as well as
      some other groups -- one that meets Wednesdays for PE activities for
      example, that I am aware of.

      Bruce

      --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "tawnyw19" <tawnyw19@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, we are new to homeschooling and we are looking for some group
      > activities that my daughter could join. She is really missing her
      > friends since we started homeschooling last week. Thanks, Tawny

    • Renee Beltran
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
        Hi Tawny,

        How old is your daughter? I have a five y.o. girl and a 2 y.o. boy. I know
        there is an "all faiths" homeschooling group that meets, I believe, on the
        3rd Friday of every month. Someone else would have to chime in with the time
        and meeting place as we haven't personally gone. We also have had
        infrequent park dates in the past but nothing recent.

        Depending on her age, I have a few ideas. Let me know. :)

        Best,
        Renee

        Hi, we are new to homeschooling and we are looking for some group
        activities that my daughter could join. She is really missing her
        friends since we started homeschooling last week. Thanks, Tawny

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Tawny Widmer
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
          Hi Bruce,

          My daughter is 11 almost 12.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

          Thanks,
          Tawny

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
            These are the events I know of:

            1st Friday-field trip (time and place varies)
            2nd Friday-bowling at Sun Lanes 12:30 until 2:30 for $3.50
            3rd Friday-co-op at 10am unitl 1:30ish at Mesilla Park Rec. Center, bring
            sack lunch
            **next week it starts at 9am because a lady is coming to speak about
            India
            Every Monday and Wednesday-PE from 11:45 until 12:30, usually at Spitz Park

            PE usually includes preschoolers through teenagers. For all of the above
            events, you are free to just show up.

            There is also an Evangelical Christian group that is very active. I don't
            have their schedule. I know that they have sign ups soon for Spring
            classes.

            Let me know if you need more details! Welcome to the fun world of
            homeschooling!

            Melani
          • aerinsmammy
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
              Thanks for the information!! I moved out here near the end of July,
              and have been wondering what homeschool group activities I could get
              my 5-year-old involved in... I had joined a different group (I
              think that the groups overlap a bit) before coming out here but they
              didn't seem to have many activities going on. Hope to meet many of
              you soon...
              Thanks!
              Corinne D'Angina

              --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Melani Daves Moore"

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 11, 2005
                Hi Tawny,

                There is a homeschool group that meets the 3rd week of each month on
                Friday (So next Friday the 18th is when they will meet). This month
                it will start at 9 am. They meet at the Mesilla Park Community Center
                on Bell St. There is a wide range of ages. I think my daughter
                (almost 6) is one of the youngest and the oldest are in their teens.

                This year they are learning about different nations in the world among
                other things. And have time to socialize/play with other homeschoolers.

                I won't be there, but my wife and daughter will be; so, maybe you will
                see them if you decide to go.

                Bruce

                --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Tawny Widmer
                <tawnyw19@y...> wrote:

                > Hi Bruce,
                >
                > My daughter is 11 almost 12. Any help is greatly appreciated.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Tawny

              • aerinsmammy
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2005
                  I'm interested in the group activities - could you tell me if there
                  is a field trip planned for this Friday (12/2)? Also, my daughter
                  would love to go bowling with some others - where would we be able
                  to meet up with the homeschoolers at the bowling alley? We went
                  last month, but being a holiday, there were many school-aged
                  children besides mine. Is P.E. still going on? We've been going to
                  the park on Spitz but have been the only ones there.
                  Thank you so much,

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2005
                    There is a field trip this Friday at City of the Rocks. Everyone is meeting
                    at the visitor's center at 1pm to watch a short film and then the kids will
                    play. Some are going up early to eat a picnic lunch. I'm not sure yet if
                    we are going.

                    I've not been to the bowling alley, so I can't help you out there. You
                    could probably ask at the front desk where the homeschool group is. PE
                    this week (and last week) is at 3 Crosses Park, which is just a few minutes
                    from Spitz park. They are meeting there to play basketball. After this
                    week will be a break from PE for the holidays. There also won't be coop
                    this month.

                    I'm so sorry that you've had such a hard time finding people! I attend what
                    I can, but my 2-year-old keeps us from PE a lot of the time. It's hard to
                    keep her awake during that time of the day. Feel free to email me anytime
                    you want an update!
                  • aerinsmammy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 29, 2005
                      Thank you!! We're going to try to be there tomorrow for PE, and
                      Friday's trip as well - I have an 11-month-old as well as a 5-year-
                      old so things are sometimes hectic for me. Thanks for the
                      information - and I hope Erin and I will meet you soon!
                      Thanks,
                      Corinne