New Homeschooler

  • tawnyw19
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2005
      Hi, we are new to homeschooling and we are looking for some group
      activities that my daughter could join. She is really missing her
      friends since we started homeschooling last week. Thanks, Tawny
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
        Hi Tawny,

        What age is your daughter. Mine is almost 6 years years old. There
        is a group that meets on the third Friday of every month as well as
        some other groups -- one that meets Wednesdays for PE activities for
        example, that I am aware of.

        Bruce

        --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "tawnyw19" <tawnyw19@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, we are new to homeschooling and we are looking for some group
        > activities that my daughter could join. She is really missing her
        > friends since we started homeschooling last week. Thanks, Tawny

      • Renee Beltran
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
          Hi Tawny,

          How old is your daughter? I have a five y.o. girl and a 2 y.o. boy. I know
          there is an "all faiths" homeschooling group that meets, I believe, on the
          3rd Friday of every month. Someone else would have to chime in with the time
          and meeting place as we haven't personally gone. We also have had
          infrequent park dates in the past but nothing recent.

          Depending on her age, I have a few ideas. Let me know. :)

          Best,
          Renee

          Hi, we are new to homeschooling and we are looking for some group
          activities that my daughter could join. She is really missing her
          friends since we started homeschooling last week. Thanks, Tawny

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Tawny Widmer
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
            Hi Bruce,

            My daughter is 11 almost 12.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

            Thanks,
            Tawny

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
              These are the events I know of:

              1st Friday-field trip (time and place varies)
              2nd Friday-bowling at Sun Lanes 12:30 until 2:30 for $3.50
              3rd Friday-co-op at 10am unitl 1:30ish at Mesilla Park Rec. Center, bring
              sack lunch
              **next week it starts at 9am because a lady is coming to speak about
              India
              Every Monday and Wednesday-PE from 11:45 until 12:30, usually at Spitz Park

              PE usually includes preschoolers through teenagers. For all of the above
              events, you are free to just show up.

              There is also an Evangelical Christian group that is very active. I don't
              have their schedule. I know that they have sign ups soon for Spring
              classes.

              Let me know if you need more details! Welcome to the fun world of
              homeschooling!

              Melani
            • aerinsmammy
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2005
                Thanks for the information!! I moved out here near the end of July,
                and have been wondering what homeschool group activities I could get
                my 5-year-old involved in... I had joined a different group (I
                think that the groups overlap a bit) before coming out here but they
                didn't seem to have many activities going on. Hope to meet many of
                you soon...
                Thanks!
                Corinne D'Angina

                --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, "Melani Daves Moore"

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 11, 2005
                  Hi Tawny,

                  There is a homeschool group that meets the 3rd week of each month on
                  Friday (So next Friday the 18th is when they will meet). This month
                  it will start at 9 am. They meet at the Mesilla Park Community Center
                  on Bell St. There is a wide range of ages. I think my daughter
                  (almost 6) is one of the youngest and the oldest are in their teens.

                  This year they are learning about different nations in the world among
                  other things. And have time to socialize/play with other homeschoolers.

                  I won't be there, but my wife and daughter will be; so, maybe you will
                  see them if you decide to go.

                  Bruce

                  --- In lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com, Tawny Widmer
                  <tawnyw19@y...> wrote:

                  > Hi Bruce,
                  >
                  > My daughter is 11 almost 12. Any help is greatly appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Tawny

                • aerinsmammy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2005
                    I'm interested in the group activities - could you tell me if there
                    is a field trip planned for this Friday (12/2)? Also, my daughter
                    would love to go bowling with some others - where would we be able
                    to meet up with the homeschoolers at the bowling alley? We went
                    last month, but being a holiday, there were many school-aged
                    children besides mine. Is P.E. still going on? We've been going to
                    the park on Spitz but have been the only ones there.
                    Thank you so much,

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 29, 2005
                      There is a field trip this Friday at City of the Rocks. Everyone is meeting
                      at the visitor's center at 1pm to watch a short film and then the kids will
                      play. Some are going up early to eat a picnic lunch. I'm not sure yet if
                      we are going.

                      I've not been to the bowling alley, so I can't help you out there. You
                      could probably ask at the front desk where the homeschool group is. PE
                      this week (and last week) is at 3 Crosses Park, which is just a few minutes
                      from Spitz park. They are meeting there to play basketball. After this
                      week will be a break from PE for the holidays. There also won't be coop
                      this month.

                      I'm so sorry that you've had such a hard time finding people! I attend what
                      I can, but my 2-year-old keeps us from PE a lot of the time. It's hard to
                      keep her awake during that time of the day. Feel free to email me anytime
                      you want an update!
                    • aerinsmammy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 29, 2005
                        Thank you!! We're going to try to be there tomorrow for PE, and
                        Friday's trip as well - I have an 11-month-old as well as a 5-year-
                        old so things are sometimes hectic for me. Thanks for the
                        information - and I hope Erin and I will meet you soon!
                        Thanks,
                        Corinne