      To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
      From: amisegna1@...
      Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:30:25 -0600
      Subject: RE: [lascruceshomeschool] Truancy laws NM/ Daytime curfew for homeschoolers?

      Diffrent cities may have their own evening curfew laws - I haven't heard of any daytime ones, and you have me curious now - and will also differ on how they are enforced, but there are a LOT of home schoolers in NM - I wouldn't expect any sort of harrassment unless the kids are getting into trouble of some sort! I've never heard of any authority-types harrassing anyone, just curious questions from people you may encounter (i.e. No school today?)

      To: lascruceshomeschool@yahoogroups.com
      From: b_gregorio@...
      Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:24:09 +0000

      Hello- we are homeschoolers from VA, moving to Las Cruces shortly, to join my husband for a while who has already started a 6-month temporary work project there. We will all be going back to our house in VA if the contract is not renewed in spring. I therefore intend to keep my "a-pain-to-refile" Virginia-NOI (notice of intent) on the books for now, as for now I consider us temporary visitors in NM.
      So:
      Is there a daytime curfew in NM for school-age children? Do you get harassed when you are out with your older homeschooled kids during the day (shopping, etc.), to produce paperwork? Sorry for sounding so paranoid, but I heard some states have introduced these curfews, locally. I thought I'd better ask about it before I run into truancy issues.

      Thanks! Hope to meet you all soon.

      Birgit
      (My kids are 1st and 4th grade, homeschooled since the beginning)

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic