    Jun 2, 2005
      Hi, and welcome to those of you who are new.  My name is Melani, and I have a 6 year old son and a 20 month old daughter.  I never planned to be a homeschooler, but after sending my son to a local public school kindergarten class for several months, I pulled him out.  I now plan to homeschool for as long as it works for all of us.  We love it so far!
      My understanding of unschooling is that it is completely child-led learning, based on the child's interests at the time.   Unschoolers do not use any curriculum or follow a schedule about when skills should be acquired or when learning should take place.
      I'm not quite brave enough to completely unschool.  I, instead, am a fairly eclectic homeschooler.  We will use a math curriculum and possibly a spelling/grammar curriculum from time to time.  Other than that, we are going to read lots of great literature and explore my son's interests.  Most of our learning will be through regular life.
      Again, welcome!
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic