Re: ***Larkin Soap Co.*** Larkin Soap Co. Secretary Desk

  • Bridget Henson
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2013
      Thank you so much for the information! So would you know what the current value of it would be? I'm guessing that with so many made it wouldn't be to high right? This is the first antique I have ever bought. All of my others have been handed down by family. So I was trying to determine if it was a good purchase for the price. I love the group and reading all the info about the company and its products! Thank you again so much!

      Bridget
      Sonora, California

      On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Jerome Puma <jppuma@...> wrote:

      Yes, that is definitely Chautauqua Desk No. 5, which was made between 1907 and 1908.  The Chautauqua desk was the most popular Larkin premium, with literally millions made.

      Jerry

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2013
        Bridget,

        You desk seems to be in excellent conditon, and it still has the original label!  I have seen these desks sell in the $250-$500 range depending upon condition. I have read that oak furniture prices have dropped, but I have not tracked any recent pricing trends.

        Jerry

        I recently bought a Larkin Soap Co. secretary desk and on the back was an inspection seal and a label that says This Article Manufactured by our Factory No. 14 If you have occasion to write us about it, mention this number without fail. Do not cause useless delay for inquiry by neglecting this. Larkin Soap Co. Buffalo N.Y. I was just hoping to find out a little bit more about this piece and was wondering if anyone knew what year it was and possibly its value.
      • be_henson
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2013
          Is it possible to get any documentation about the desk sent to me. I have enjoyed learning so much about the company and the desk and would love to have some document ion with it. Do you have anything you could send copies of or scan an email? Thank you again so much! This has been an absolute joy!

          Bridget
          Sonora, California

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2013
            Bridget,

            Sure - I will send you a scan of the sheet that our fellow Group member, Walter Ayars prepared that shows the variations of the desks through the years.  If you want more detailed information, Walt's book, "Larkin Oak", is the definitive reference tool.

            Jerry