Re: Control handles - Digest Number 314

  • trolleycar68 <68trolley@attbi.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
      I think Eric is correct for the early K series controllers and even
      for some C series like on the CA&E cars, in that the controller
      "speed" handle be permanently part of the controller. But there are
      just as many examples of controllers which had removable handles so
      the operator would have three handles to carry around when he changes
      ends or changed car assignments. Both way could be technically
      correct on a model. If you are using train air such as in a
      locomotive, the fixed controller handle is probably more typical.

      Another wrinkle - many cars had a brake stand designed with
      'automatic' air function (able to stop mu cars in synchronus with a
      single stand) and our North Shore Line Car I believe has a combination
      stand with straight air function and additional positions for
      automatic air. The straight air function acted as an 'independent'
      valve and was very quick acting - something useful when trying to spot
      or stop the work equipment at a particular spot. Automatic air was
      generally much slower acting.

      Bob Kutella
    • Bill Bolton
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
        On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 10:59:32 -0000, Bob Kutella wrote:

        > ends or changed car assignments. Both way could be technically
        > correct on a model.

        It depends on the type of equipment. Work cars only rarely got
        anything sophisticated in terms of control equipment and so would, as
        a general rule, tend to have fixed handles on the main controller
        shaft.

        Cheers,

        Bill

        Bill Bolton