a poem for Christmas . . .

  • Jan Girardot
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2002
      a poem for Christmas . . .
      Here, for the amusement of members old and new, Holiday poetry by
      Dr. Dick Stein, retired Poet Laureate of the Big-Trains List:

      PART THE FIRST

      I have cheered up like a sunbeam and will cease my vacant prattles
      For I've found a present 'neath the tree and Glory! how it rattles!
      Too big for socks, too square for pants, I'm sure it's not a sweater-
      I think I feels some loco wheels, Oh this is getting better!

      God knows I've dropped some hints this year, I really am ashamed
      And if it isn't rolling stock at least I can't be blamed.
      I've stacks of magazines and lists and hints of what is new
      They're plastered on the icebox door and Blu-tac'ed in the Loo.

      I've been a good boy all the year, and made it obvious
      That virtue as it's own reward is rarely worth the fuss.
      So now it's time to cash in big and make the family see
      That ties and hankies leave me cold, for I want L.G.B.

      Is it too small for a Krokodile? I wonder how it feels-
      I wonder if the parcel splits-are those bumps pilot wheels?
      "Righto Dear-I'll put it down-Just curious you see...."
      Oh bloody hell, another night to sit beneath the tree.

      But 4:00 AM will come along and out of bed I'll crawl
      And down the stairs and through the door and out along the hall.
      And on will go the tree lights bright and out will come the train-
      And say goodbye to forty years-'cause I'll be eight again!

      (Part the Second will arrive on Christmas Day: don't touch that dial!)

      . . . Jan
      Angola & Lake James Electric Rwy.
    • joecrea@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 24, 2002
        Hi Jan-
        Part 1 was great; can't wait for part 2!  You and Pat have a great Christmas!
        Joe