generic truck for 2 axel 1-24 model streetcars

  • snbesry
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2012
      I have posted two photos of a generic fixed truck I designed and built (for 2 axel streetcars) which employs 2 Northwest Shortline Super Magic Carpet motor-wheelsets and ball bearings. It has a 101.6mm wheelbase which is 8' in prototype scale. The SMC's are 45mm gauge. (42" in prototype) Because NWSL SMC's are no longer in production nor are the journal bearings for them, secondhand SMC's were obtained. Suitably sized ball bearings were obtained from a vendor that supplies instrument makers. The truck is entirely made of conventionally obtainable brass stock and the only variation of the truck structure that is required for different sideframes of the equivalent wheelbase is a suitable adjustment of the height of the mounting brackets. The operation is acceptable at voltages over about 7.5v but starting the truck is bit ragged because the startup voltages for the two SMC's are not the same. The operation smooths out once up to speed. As it is, I'll have to run the truck with only one motor to avoid herky-jerky startups until I can find a matched pair of SMC's
    • Jan Girardot
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2012
        Thanks for posting that good-looking project. Looks like you could use
        it to pull stumps!

        Now, do us all a favor and sign your emails with your "real" first name.

        Thanks,

        . . . Jan
      • Yahoo2
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2012