1:24 scale Sydney/Newcastle NSW trams

  • Bill Bolton
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
      A YouTube video of a 1:24 scale tram layout based on Sydney/Newcastle
      Trams is here........ <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYi919Ff8r8>

      The story of the layout can be found here....

      <http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260856936778?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649>

      Cheers,

      Bill

      Bill Bolton
      Sydney, Australia
    • orangegarage
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
        That's one really sharp layout. Quite an inspiration. Thanks for sharing this.

        Chris Mears
        Charlottetown, PEI, Canada

        --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bolton <billbolton.email@...> wrote:

        > A YouTube video of a 1:24 scale tram layout based on Sydney/Newcastle
        > Trams is here........ <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYi919Ff8r8>
        >
        > The story of the layout can be found here....
        >
        > <http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260856936778?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649>
      • Paul F Tolson
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
          Can't understand why the gauge is 59mm - 60mm would be closer to scale ;)

          Paul
          WRLR

          > That's one really sharp layout. Quite an inspiration. Thanks for sharing
          > this.
          >
          > Chris Mears
          > Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
          >
          > --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bolton
          > <billbolton.email@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> A YouTube video of a 1:24 scale tram layout based on Sydney/Newcastle
          >> Trams is here........ <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYi919Ff8r8>
          >>
          >> The story of the layout can be found here....
          >>
          >> <http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260856936778?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649>

        • David Halfpenny (y)
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
              Hi David

              Also, Portsmouth and Huddersfield were 4'7 3/4" but Blackpool is standard
              4'8 1/2" gauge as I believe are these Oz tramways ;)

              Paul
              WRLR

              >> Can't understand why the gauge is 59mm - 60mm would be closer to scale ;)
              >>

              > Paul,
              >
              > Where grooved street-tramway tracks are shared between street trams and
              > conventional standard gauge rail, the tramway gauge is laid to 4' 7 3/4".
              > This enables the conventional vehicles to run with their flanges in the
              > grooves (rather than their treads on the railheads) - slowly of course,
              > and
              > in Britain with an American-style bell dinging.
              >
              > This figure scales 59.002mm
              >
              > I don't know whether this applies to Sydney or Newcastle, but it could be
              > consideration for 1/24 scale modellers of Glasgow or Blackpool trams.
              >
              > David 1/2d

            • David Halfpenny (y)
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
                  Hi David

                  If you look at Google Earth you should be able to see where BCT connected to
                  the railway system "somewhere up north". As you are no doubt aware, the
                  steeple cab BCT loco is at Crich.

                  Paul
                  WRLR

                  >> Also, Portsmouth and Huddersfield were 4'7 3/4" but Blackpool is standard
                  >> 4'8 1/2" gauge as I believe are these Oz tramways ;)
                  >
                  > I seem to remember wagons on part of the Blackpool system - but not along
                  > the sea front :-)
                  >
                  > What counts is the standard that the modellers have decided to work to -
                  > for example they may be using bought-in parts - and yes, it would be
                  > interesting to know why they actually chose 59mm.
                  >
                  > Here's a good general reference site for gauges:
                  > http://parovoz.com/spravka/gauges-en.php
                  >
                  > David 1/2d

                • Paul F Tolson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011