Two truck Birney

  • laughery1013
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2011
      The just received Audust issue of Garden Railways magazine has a fullpage ad for Hartland Locomaotive Works' two truck Birney car. This is the first mention I have seen for this. I hope the great looking trucks are available seperately, too. Dave Laughery
    • Doug Arnold
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
        Hi
        Take a look at a two axle version that ran in Ft. Collins, Colo.
        http://www.heritagetrolley.org/existFortCollins.htm
        A summer-fall project is to build one of these. Hopefully I'll have
        it running on the Fairplex railroad in the fall. We'll see!
        Doug Arnold
      • thegreatthirdrail
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
          For those that haven't seen the ad yet, I scanned it and put it in the Files section.

          Interesting that they don't even have it listed on their website yet, lead time for the magazine is probably at least 6 weeks.

          Anyways, my initial impressions for the little they may be worth,,,

          The trucks are certainly interesting, and both are supposedly powered. Good materials there, although given HLW's standard pricing, maybe not..

          The other thought (also tempered by the HLW typical pricing), hmm, a double door Birney, how much would it take to cut this up and make a standard, single truck, double front door Birney ?

          John C/Elgin, IL
        • Bill Bolton
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6, 2011
            On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 19:27:27 -0000, John you wrote:

            > The trucks are certainly interesting, and both are
            > supposedly powered.

            Er..... the ad says both trucks "pick up power", not that both trucks
            are powered.

            Cheers,

            Bill