Brille 21e truck - scale 1:22.5 or approaching

  • pdussartd
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
      Hi,

      Does anybody know a source for Brill 21e trucks (minimum side frames) ??

      Scale should be 1/22,5 or 1:24

      Regards, Philippe
    • JohnN87774@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
        What wheelbase are you looking for?
        I have a .stl file for 1:24 8' wheelbase Brill 21-E sideframe that I can give you a copy of so that you can send it to a 3D printing vendor and get however many you need. A picture is in album Nelligan on the LST site.
        John Nelligan
      • Philippe DUSSART
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 14, 2010

          Sir,

          I have found in the Nelligan album pictures of a Peckham truck, not a Brill 21 E. Brill 79E is also interesting for me

          Anyway, I would be interested by your file.

          Note : I have put detailed info about Brill 21 e trucks in the File section of the LST site.

          Regards, Philippe

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 14, 2010
            Keep looking: it is the next to last image in the file and is not labeled Brill-21E as such.
            John Nelligan
            JohnN87774@...
          • Philippe DUSSART
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 14, 2010

              John,

              You are right.

              The Brill 21e is fine by me. I would be interested by the STL file and see whether I can find a 3D printer in Belgium. Never done this before.

              Thanks in advance, Philippe

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 14, 2010

                Philippe

                Have just see your original e-mail with regards Brill 21e trucks. I have two white metal

                21e truck castings in my spares box, they are MTS one’s that I’ve had sitting around for a

                number of years, and you are more than welcome to them, if you can use them. I’m not

                sure what the wheel base is, I brought them to fit to the Bachman open car,  and I think

                they match the original wheel base. Another one of those jobs that never got done.

                If you are interested let me know, I’m in the UK .

                Ken

              • JohnN87774@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 14, 2010
                  Phillipe:
                  The vendor I used is
                  Bradley Rigdon
                  Print To 3D (www.printo3d.com)
                  51 Rockledge Road
                  Tunkhannock, PA 18657
                  USA
                  (570) 262 0221

                  The picture in the album is of his 3D printing. I'm attaching a file that he feels will work ok and a .jpg of the solid rendering of that file. the .stl file is not perfect and some vendors may not be willing to tweak it so that it will work with their equipment.
                  John Nelligan
                  JohnN87774@...

                • Philippe DUSSART
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 15, 2010

                    Ken,

                    This is very interesting. I would buy the two sets.

                    What would be your price ?

                    Could you measure the actual distance between axle boxes ? Any idea of the scale ? 1:24, 1:20.3 or 1:22.5 ?

                    Regards, Philippe

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 15, 2010
                      I'm sorry a computer literate person just went through all files of this list and I do not find it please enlighten, I would like a copy.
                      Harold Huber
                      Sheridan, WY
                      The picture in the album is of his 3D printing. I'm attaching a file that he feels will work ok and a .jpg of the solid rendering of that file. the .stl file is not perfect and some vendors may not be willing to tweak it so that it will work with their equipment.
                      John Nelligan
                      JohnN87774@...

                    • trolleycar68
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 16, 2010
                        --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Huber" <sarge9@...> wrote:

                        > I'm sorry a computer literate person just went through all files of this list and I do not find it please enlighten, I would like a copy.
                        > Harold Huber

                        I am sure John Nelligan offered to share his work directly forwarding via e mail. An .stl file is one made using a stereo lithography format, one that can be used in 'printing' three dimensional items. I have not asked for that since I would have no software to view or use it. But if would be critical to have that file and format if you were to consider having a firm make the part.

                        You would have to make that contact and understand even then it may not be so simple. There are many composites and resins used in that industry. You would have to choose one, and they would use their laser technology to 'cook' the soup in three dimensions, solidifying that soup three dimensionally. When done, drain the soup to reveal the completed part. But it might be you picked something too soft, too brittle, too something for what you want to use it. I have not done it myself but that is a simplified layman's description of how it might work.

                        John has invested a huge amount of time doing this and should be commended for being willing to share his work freely.

                        THANK YOU, JOHN!!!!

                        Bob Kutella
                      • Harold Huber
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 16, 2010
                          Great now I get to drool but not for long as they are not available for use???
                          Harold Huber
                          Sheridan, WY

                        • Philippe DUSSART
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 17, 2010

                            John,

                            I have found an interesting 3D printer :

                            -          Although there were problems with the STL file, it was fixed free of charge

                            -          FREE Worldwide shipment

                            -          Accepts all currencies like US dollar and Euro through Paypal payment

                            -          Quick service

                            -          Advice/Wide choice of materials and colours, plastic and metal possible

                            -          Fully automated file upload, material selection, ordering process, easy payments, etc

                            I will pay 52 USD dollars , mail included for four copies of the truck in White ABS delivered at home ! This sounds like a bargain to me.

                            See http://www.shapeways.com

                            Thanks again, Philippe

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 17, 2010
                              --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Huber" <sarge9@...> wrote:

                              > Great now I get to drool but not for long as they are not available for use???
                              > Harold Huber
                              > Sheridan, WY

                              I did not intend to make you drool or to frustrate you in any way. But to point out that receiving this file is the BEGINNING of the process, not something you can open like an e mail. Perhaps not even open it to view the image without the required supporting program and software.

                              The message from Phillippe is very positive and offers encouragement!

                              Bob Kutella
                            • Philippe DUSSART
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 17, 2010

                                Dear all,

                                Thanks John for his work. This is the first time that I am using a 3D drawing and trying 3D printing.

                                Luckily, I have some experience with CAD in 2D, despite NO engineering background.  Around 1995, I have started to use Cadrail (Sandia Software) to draw model tracks. I had to refresh my college maths to get the right way to design my own points. Tangents were the key stuff to understand.

                                The most interesting aspect of this journey was that I could use the same tool to build 1:1 meter gauge tracks for a museum project in Belgium. It is just a question of reversing the logic : if you can reduce something as a model, why not inflate it ?

                                The great news with Cadrail was that it produces a bill of materials of the stuff you need, like straight or curve tracks, with dimensions, etc. As a consequence, I had not only track drawings but also enough data for building contractors lay the track as needed. It included mixed-gauge points (normal-metric gauge with 3 rails), a diamond point, etc. I have also drawn a pit for tram inspection, copied from a pit in a tramway depot (Anderlues near Charleroi)

                                See the work done between 2000 and 2004 on my site  http://www.tramania.com  :

                                http://pdussart.tripod.com/asvimainenglishnews.htm  All the project day by day

                                http://pdussart.tripod.com/cdvworks64.jpg  http://pdussart.tripod.com/cdvworks125.jpg  Example of points prepared by volunteers and laid by a contacting company. Thanks of Cadrail !

                                http://pdussart.tripod.com/CDVtrack.gif   Overall track plan. Total length laid = about 600 yards

                                Presently our club is restoring the SNCV vicinal tramway trailer A.1585 : see http://pdussart.tripod.com/A1584_2006/

                                Regarding 3D, I have only a few days of limited experience. The hill is steep !

                                Having no budget to spend on software, after trial and error, I have found the following freeware tools :

                                1)      MiniMagics 2.0 is very easy to use in order to display an existing 3D drawing. You can orient the object as you want and inspect all sides of it. For starters.

                                2)      Meshlab V123a is very complete, you can even design you own 3D model and generate STL files, ready for 3D print. Complex but complete. No limits.

                                I have tested various 3D printing companies, PROTOCAM.com (US) , Sculpteo.com (France) and Shapeways.com (Netherlands). All ship worldwide and communicate in English.

                                All accept your STL files, but most require adjustments (at cost) Shapeways was the only one able to use the file straight away and their ordering process is smooth.

                                Regards, Philippe

                              • Harold Huber
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 17, 2010

                                  Sorry, I meant no ill harm.  I am looking for 1:20.3 or 1:24 drawing so I can scratch build some trucks, all Kinds except PCC I have no interest in them.  I have been unable to find manufactured trucks of any kind in 1:20.3 I am modeling a contest model of the Deadwood Central 3' gauge combine and may well build 2 and there is word that they also also a coach of the same style.  Built by St. Louis Car Company.  My interest in Brill 21e is I have a photo of a real neat coal hauler from PRR that had Brill 21e under it, being as short as it is It could have hauled coal to company buildings etc.  I've just started in this scale as I have modeled many HO and HOn3 traction stuff, but have a 20' X 30' area in the back yard and would like to build a large scale (1:20.3) traction in this space.
                                  Harold Huber
                                  Sheridan, WY
                                • JohnN87774@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 17, 2010
                                    Harold:
                                    The .stl file is generated from a 3D CAD file and is called a stereo-lithography file. This is the input that the 3D printers use to polymerize a 3 dimensional object from a liquid monomer bath using a laser. The file in question is for a 1:24 model of the sideframe for a Brill-21E truck of 8' wheelbase. My approach is to make the file available to those members of Large Scale Trolley Modelers group who want and then would then send the file to the 3D printer of their choice for the number of sideframes desired. I provide the file on the condition that it is not for commercial use. Let me know if you want a copy of the file let me know.
                                  • Harold Huber
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 17, 2010
                                      Thank you I do not have the requirements

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 19, 2010
                                        Harold:
                                        Thanks for your interest. Happy Holidays.
                                        ohn Nelligan
                                        JohnN87774@...
                                      • Harold Huber
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 20, 2010