Re: [largescaleTrolley] Re: Question to the group

  • Tom Bray
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 1, 2010
      Nice site ... I'll have to bookmark it.

      One thing that is also possible is to go ahead and belong to MyLargeScale.com.  Under Model Making or whatever, you can create threads and just reference them here (embed a link).  By being a full fledged paying member you can upload pictures onto their site and then link to them in the posts here.

      Posting on that website items that would offer the wider audience a glimpse into this world.  It will also get around the chicken / egg issue if we use that as a forum for specific subjects that may be of more general interest.  One item that really needs to be there is the annual get together and pictures from the outing (it have been posted there but I knew I wasn't able to go so I didn't go looking).

      I have posted a few trolley related items there prior to finding this group.  I still tend to go there first if the subject is primarily related large scale interests or expertise, even if it is trolley related.  I also prefer the forum style approach since I can see all the posts and it doesn't create huge emails.

      Tom

      On Jul 29, 2010, at 3:46 PM, trolleycar68 wrote:

      Another option for you all to consider. One of my interests is Old Wood Working Machines. We might take a lesson from them. For chat (they were on Yahoo like this) the now operate a php based chat AND for documenting, archiving pictures, history, a wiki, etc etc they run a related site.

      Might be worth looking at to see the flexibility and also the power that they have. For one thing it is very easy to search the chats in php. And you can go back and edit your post!

      www.owwm.org

      www.owwm.com

      So chats would be somewhat separate, and how to articles, photos, tips, modeling stories archived on another site. But all that takes some effort.

      Bob Kutella

    • thegreatthirdrail
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 5, 2010
        I agree with Jan (and quite a few others)...

        Rick has quite a bit of talent, and the fact he puts the extra effort to write/photograph/document/and post it,, over and above traveling all the way to the flatlands at IRM once a year to share, are a testament to what a modeler can (and my opinion) should be.

        He shares, and by doing so gives back and ENCOURAGES others !

        Two things I like especially about Rick's postings...

        1) As Rick himself sort of put it,, he has the ability to look at the prototype and "imagineer" something either very close, or at a minimum "close enough". And then he shows how he did it with some very typical, off-the-shelf, relatively inexpensive products.
        Given that large scale traction is a hard enough thing to get into, this is (my opinion again) a great entry for novice and advanced guys alike.

        2) Just as important, look at Rick's photos, and look beyond the project 'du jour.... look at what's in the rest of the photo, the way he has prototype pics up and ready at a glance for quick reference, various supplies at hand, the tools he uses (and like all of us, some of them not in their original mfr/God-intended ways) to make things.
        There's a lot of lessons to be learned in anyone's workbench/workshop, and more kudo's to Rick for sharing his, albeit likely somewhat inadvertently.

        (I'd share mine, but it's too much trouble to move all those bottles that formerly held ice-cold golden beverages,,, ORANGE JUICE !!!)

        (Okay, maybe,, no probably,, yeah, okay,, not really orange juice at all!)

        John C