LST July 4th Meet

  • trolleycar68
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2010
      I thought to post a short report here for those that could not make this event. We had a very successful event and displays this year and NO RAIN! Sunday was a bit windy, though. The event continues to grow and this year featured FOUR operating loops of track, some very nice structures and mockups, and three tables of indoor displays, as well as additional model building for us to see and appreciate. The noon cookout was a big success with a bountiful table of victuals to partake, and we owe a big thanks to many of the IRM members who joined us, helped prepare the food, and cook it, and helped to EAT it!

      I need to formally thank all those that attended and participated. There is no way to list all the names but we had LST members from Illinois, Indiana, Colorado, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio this time around, as well as one 'visiting fireman' from California.

      I do need to especially thank the many LST folks who did the 'heavy lifting' and worked diligently to help make the plans, recruit help from inside and outside the group, and to staff the displays. So, THANK YOU John Cloos, Bryan Anderson, Rick Hannegan, Charlie Sheets, and Jan Girardot; and to Henry Vincent and John Nelligan who supplied much of the modular track that we operated upon. John was otherwise booked for the holiday so Mr. Anderson and myself set up his fantastic system of operating large scale track using live overhead wire to power the equipment. It was a bit fussy for us rookies to assemble, but from the start it ran almost flawlessly. I THINK the equipment ran without a single dewirement or derailment for at least three hours!

      Of course this is also a big day for the IRM Electric Car Department with their annual pageant and parade of operating trolleys. This year included several new cars recently restored and completed - that included CNS&M 749, and a three car CA&E steel car train as well as three wood CA&E cars. Before and after the parade, rides were available on many of these cars including our (new to us) single truck open car, and the only operating Indiana Railroad car in existence.

      SENSORY OVERLOAD!

      And of course the visiting public were drawn almost at once to our set up, with kids and adults alike standing, sitting, and becoming entranced with the endless parade of operating cars and equipment on our diminutive tracks. Part of the satisfaction is seeing their enjoyment and perhaps planting the seed of future generations to participate in this great hobby. One of the visitors went so far as to come over and ask if we would accept a number of large scale structures that were surplus to him, NO CHARGE, for our group to keep and use in coming years. WOULD WE!!!

      Bob Kutella
    • David Halfpenny (t)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2010
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2010

          I hate to be picky, however there is an Indiana lightweight at Seashore in Maine.  This by way of Pennsylvania and Lehigh Valley Transit.
          Gordon Davis
        • thegreatthirdrail
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2010
            To add a bit more to Bob's report.

            First, it was a great opportunity to be able to put finally some faces to some names after, what in a couple cases was a couple of years. It's easy for me, anytime I get the itch, I'm just 20 minutes from IRM, to have so many people travel so far, and make the effort not only to attend, but also to participate, very encouraging and inspiring.

            Next, besides the folks that Bob mentioned, I'd also personally like to thank local NMRA Fox Valley Division members, Jim Allen and Mike Hirvela. Jim and Mike helped with some of the set-up on Saturday, then returned on Sunday to set up Jim's "Action & Reaction Railroad" display, help keep an eye on my Interurbans of the Fox Valley Display, generally help out, and spread the gospel of model trains in general. Also, Jim Osborn of the FVD, also stopped by Sunday morning to lend a hand with some of the early AM "tweaking".

            I've added an album in the Photos section, LST 2010. There's one photo in particular, a young kid stooping down to watch Rick's train as it powers past. That picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words.

            Thanks for a great weekend everyone. Bigger and better is the motto for 2011.
            John C
          • RickH
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2010
              I thought I posted this earlier, but I'm not seeing it!

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoCHLmVXjJM

              video of the weekend.
            • MICHAEL
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010
                What is IRM ?
                Thnakz
                Michale
                Floriduh, USA

                --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "RickH" <ptm42@...> wrote:

                > I thought I posted this earlier, but I'm not seeing it!
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoCHLmVXjJM
                >
                > video of the weekend.

              • thegreatthirdrail
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 7, 2010
                  The Illinois Rwy Museum, in Union, Ill (Northwest of Chicagoland)

                  www.irm.org

                  JC