Re: Look at overhead wire supports in this photo, never seen anything like them.

  • RickH
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
      --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest ScottW" <on30gn15@...> wrote:

      > http://www.shorpy.com/node/6941?size=_original
      >
      > Look at overhead wire supports in this photo, never seen anything like them.
      >
      > later,
      > Forrest

      That's quite a picture! I've never seen anything quite like those wire supports either. They don't look like they'd be very strong -- maybe made from galvanized pipe??

      There are quite a few ideas in there for modeling a G size street scene/town. I especially like the outhouse with the advertising on the walls -- lower right corner.

      Where was the picture taken?

      Rick
    • Mike Bauers
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
        That's a nice design.

        We had somewhat similar supports of a different design on our bridges
        as well. Works the same.........

        Best to ya,
        Mike Bauers
        Milwaukee, Wi

        On Mar 1, 2010, at 8:41 AM, RickH wrote:

        > --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Forrest ScottW"
        > <on30gn15@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> http://www.shorpy.com/node/6941?size=_original
        >>
        >> Look at overhead wire supports in this photo, never seen anything
        >> like them.
        >>
        >> later,
        >> Forrest
        >>
        > That's quite a picture! I've never seen anything quite like those
        > wire supports either. They don't look like they'd be very strong --
        > maybe made from galvanized pipe??
        >
        > There are quite a few ideas in there for modeling a G size street
        > scene/town. I especially like the outhouse with the advertising on
        > the walls -- lower right corner.
        >
        > Where was the picture taken?
        >
        > Rick
      • thegreatthirdrail
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
          My guess is that the hoops/loops are not for the overheard wire per se, but more likely to support some type of banner or signage.

          That doesn't appear to be a bridge, but more likely an overpass, which in theory would eliminate any "special" work needed as a result of a bridge lifting and shifting the wire, which as noted this doesn't really appear to be strong enough to support.

          The idea that this might be framework for some type of banner or sign would also support (no pun intended) the notion that this does appear to be relatively lightweight in design.

          Just my thoughts
          John C