Re: Aristocraft PCC

  • Ted_Roy
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2009
      Dennis,

      The Aristo-Craft Home page  has a lot of information and links to the discussion that has going on about the capabilities and color schemes that are going to be available.  IIRC, the car will be able to use the Revolution, DCC, Battery, or overhead.  But, the answers from AC are in the forum discussions..

      Hope this helps,

      Ted.

      --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "dennis_the_mailman" <dennis_the_mailman@...> wrote:

      > The PCC is supposed to come out soon. Does anyone know about the control system? Revolution or dcc? what will work with overhead power? Dennis Uriarte.

    • thegreatthirdrail
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 24, 2009
        After a visit to the International Hobby Expo in Rosemont, Il (a Chicago suburb), I have this report to offer.

        First it does indeed exist. They had what I would clasisfy as something between a test car and a production model. The car was operating on a small loop of track, they would not stop the car so I could get detailed photos, but I managed a few shots anyways, these are in the photos section in an album "Aristo PCC". You'll readily see what I mean by a cross test car/production car, the shell is clearly a nice production shot, but the doors seem cobbeled together.

        My impressions,, not bad, fairly good,should be better. The first thing that struck me was those ridiculous windshield wipers on the face of the car. They looked ridiculous on Aristo's webpage, if anything they look even worse in person. The car does sit much lower than the early Aristo photos suggested which is a good thing. Truck detail looks pretty nice and overall, I would judge this as a nice car, a great entry level traction item, and based on the suggested pricing Aristo is publishing in their 2009 price list ($287.00), a very good price.

        Interesting paint schemes they're planning to offer, their literature notes the following :
        Undecorated
        Brooklyn
        Boston MBTA
        Philly Traction Co (Not sure what that might be exactly)
        San Francisco
        Los Angeles
        Toronto
        SEPTA Philly
        Baltimore
        Pittsburgh
        San Francisco (Red)
        Hamburg Germany
        Marseille France

        As noted before there will be some special runs, St Aubin Trains will have a release in Chicago Green Hornet colors (incorrect for this car but, whatever). I've also heard of a run in Cincinnati colors as well.

        I would judge this to be a nice car for most modelers. I personally have no interest in this car as is, but I can see the potential here for other things. I'm thinking about getting two and bashing them into a double-ended Illinois Terminal PCC.

        Now the bad news.
        As I noted above, they had just this one car on display. When I asked how soon these would be available, the single word answer I got was "soon", which in my mind translated to , "not very soon". I said to the rep that several retailers (including the afore-mentioned St Aubin) had been advising people that they expected to have cars by mid-late November, he looked at me, smiled, and repeated, "soon".

        Personally, I think we can all spend our XMAS monies on something else, I don't see this thing available until spring of next year.
        Although I hope I'm wrong, the IT PCC will be pretty cool !

        John C
      • mittner@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 24, 2009
          John,

          I had a friend see the PCC at the York show last week. He also said
          something didn't look right in regards to the front of the car. He aid
          the windshield area represented nothing of what it should be. Mr. Polk
          was there so he mentioned to him that something didn't look right. Mr
          Polk asked what that was and my friend said the windshield/frontend
          didn't look right. Mr Polk replied, yes, I know, we mess messed that up.
          I think that was his qoute.That is all that was reported back to me.
          Whether there are plans to correct it or release it to the public like
          that, who knows. .....Gary

          Come visit my PRR Pages:

          http://www.angelfire.com/film/prrpics/PRR-pages.html
        • Mike McCormack
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 24, 2009
            John,

            If I'm not mistaken the Illinois Terminal double-end PCCs are wide than the normal streetcar, and not actually PCCs. But it would be a nice model in green and cream. Hope you can find just a body somewhere. Two cars will set you back a fair amount.

            As regards the Aristo PCC from what I can see from your pictures the destination sign area is wrong. It should be fairly vertical, not sloped back as it appears to be on the model. Oh well, get out the body putty. The rest of the car looks nice. Time to start saving the pennies.

            Mike McCormack
            Hudson, MA 01749

            Oct 24, 2009 03:48:36 PM, largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com wrote:
[...]

            <*> Your email settings: