Re: imbedded track in street outdoors

  • Rick Hannegan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2009
      --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, bryan johnson <perryj1024@...> wrote:

      > Sorry that wasn't yours Rick . Hows that working out though ? With expansion and contact.
      >

      >No problems with 5 winters. It's probably 5 inches thick with rebar and mesh. To add to Bob's comment about brickwork, I suppose there are enough mixes out there that you could "stamp" a brick pattern into a wet mix. That's something that would make a good experiment and article. I didn't give it too much thought; I'm not certain the main street in my town was paved until 1908.
      As to frog and point-and-mate castings, it seems as if there should be a way to mill a left-hand turnout, a right-hand turnout and an equilateral turnout, perhaps from brass or NS blocks? Also seems like if you had a good milling machine and turned out say 10 or 15 of each at a time, you wouldn't go crazy with setup problems.
      But girder rail - yoy! I had some a long time ago for my HO layout. It was steel, came in girder and girder-guard and was a flat-out bit## to work with.

      Maybe we need a workshop at the July IRM-LST meet???