Re: Overhead Wire Frogs

  • James B. Holland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2008
      > --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <wrightrobertt@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello again Everyone;
      >
      > On the Overhead at a switch, is it a one size fits all
      frog
      > for the wire?
      > Or were there different sizes like for the number size of the
      switch?

      > Rob

      Prototype did have different sizes but as time wore one this was
      narrowed to two -- 10-degree angle for entering and 8-degree angle for
      trailing position. Not important in the model - one size fits all!

      Rule of Thumb -- overhead frog is placed about 1/3rd the distance
      between track point and track frog, slightly offset toward the turn. To
      make sure the offset toward the turn is correct it is best to place a
      span At The Point and center the overhead on this span. Many people
      miss this; putting this span further back diminishes the impact of the
      offset. The greater the distance from track point to track frog will
      necessitate an Increased in the rule of thumb to Greater than 1/3rd the
      distance.

      Ohio Brass also optimized the design of frogs for either wheels or shoes
      but this is not important with the model - just the prototype. YES!
      Proto Shoes can operate on overhead designed for wheels but there Can Be
      Problems. I have personally experienced such problems in San Francisco
      when they used frogs designed for wheels on a shoe system -- pole
      would take the wrong direction regardless Each & Every Time.

      Jim__Holland