John Franzen

  • joecrea80004
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi All,

      I am sorry to tell you that my friend John Franzen passed away
      yesterday. His work is pictured on the group's title page, and shows
      the night scene with the trolley in front of the theater. I never met
      John, but had corresponded with him for years. He was an excellent
      modeller and a good guy. I'll miss him.

      Joe
    • Bob Kutella
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
        --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "joecrea80004" <joecrea@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am sorry to tell you that my friend John Franzen passed away
        > yesterday. His work is pictured on the group's title page, and shows
        > the night scene with the trolley in front of the theater. I never met
        > John, but had corresponded with him for years. He was an excellent
        > modeller and a good guy. I'll miss him.
        >
        > Joe

        I am both shocked and saddened to hear of John's passing. As with
        many of you on this list, I enjoyed his posts and sharing of
        information, and corresponded with him in a very positive way off the
        forum. He was an exceptionally skilled and prolific modeller; and in
        many ways he will be both missed and remembered.

        Bob Kutella
      • Jan Girardot
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
          John Franzen
          Friends;

          The April issue of Model Railroader carrys a feature article on the late John Franzen's wonderful railroad, the Jones Island. Most of you will remember John as a frequent contributor to LST and his work can still be found in our Photos area under "Franzen".

          It's gratifying to read that his wife and some friends continue to operate the railway in John's memory.

          . . . Jan
        • Bob Kutella
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
            --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, Jan Girardot <janandpat@...>
            wrote:

            > Friends;
            >
            > The April issue of Model Railroader carrys a feature article on the
            > late John Franzen's wonderful railroad, the Jones Island.

            I looked at the table of contents and flipped quickly through the
            pages but did not find it. Do you have a title or page number for me?

            Thanks

            bob kutella
          • Jan Girardot
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2009
              [largescaleTrolley] Re: John Franzen
              wrote:

              > Friends;
              >
              > The April issue of Model Railroader carrys a feature article on the
              > late John Franzen's wonderful railroad, the Jones Island.

              I looked at the table of contents and flipped quickly through the
              pages but did not find it. Do you have a title or page number for me?

              Thanks
              bob kutella

              Bob and All LSTers;

              The title of the article is:  Freelancing a a harbor railroad
              Scratchbuilt scenes highlight this large scale layout

              and it was written by Dana Kawala. Sorry, but I don't have the paper version here.  You can look at the April issue contents at: http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=ci&id=6

              . . . Jan
            • Bob Kutella
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
                --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, Jan Girardot <janandpat@...> wrote:

                > Bob and All LSTers;
                >
                > The title of the article is: Freelancing a a harbor railroad
                > Scratchbuilt scenes highlight this large scale layout
                >
                > and it was written by Dana Kawala. Sorry, but I don't have the paper
                > version here. You can look at the April issue contents at:
                > http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=ci&id=6
                >
                > . . . Jan

                Dopey me - it is right where you said. I guess the title caused me to skip past it.

                I corresponded with John as he was hanging the overhead for the streetcar line. I do not believe it is powered, but yet highly detailed and the poles are used to track through the wire as the car navigates the loop.

                Lesson learned - never doubt Jan!

                Bob Kutella
              • RnDUnique@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4, 2009
                  Fair warning to one and all.  I went to the link and downloaded this "new" information, only to discover that it was not new at all, but was a reprinted combination of two articles that had appeared in the past in Garden Railways magazine, both issues of which I had already purchased!  So, I paid an additional $5.95 for something I had seen before.

                  Very clever marketing to some, but tantamount to fraud in my humble opinion.  That is the LAST time I will ever download anything from their website!

                  Dave