Re: New Orleans

  • Bob Kutella
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Hannegan" <ptm42@c...>
      wrote:

      > -- All 24 streetcars on the year-old Canal Street line were flooded
      > and
      > their running gears are inoperable. One car was shipped to
      > Pennsylvania this
      > week for damage assessment.

      Other reports said that 30 of the Canal and Riverfront cars will
      require about one million dollars each to repair - about what it cost
      to build them. One of the RUMORS I heard was that ten of those cars
      had already been shipped to Brookville although this story of one car
      seems more reasonable.

      Bob Kutella
    • Gordon Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        According to the current issue of 'Trolley Talk' only one car was shipped
        to Brookville.
        Gordon
        >> -- All 24 streetcars on the year-old Canal Street line were flooded
        >> and
        >> their running gears are inoperable. One car was shipped to
        >> Pennsylvania this
        >> week for damage assessment.
        >
        > Other reports said that 30 of the Canal and Riverfront cars will
        > require about one million dollars each to repair - about what it cost
        > to build them. One of the RUMORS I heard was that ten of those cars
        > had already been shipped to Brookville although this story of one car
        > seems more reasonable.
        >
        > Bob Kutella
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
          A little more recent story:

          http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/111905cckkWWLTVtrolleys.fb398e6.ht
          ml

          New Orleans trolleys KO'd by Katrina

          08:22 PM CST on Saturday, November 19, 2005
          By MARY FOSTER / Associated Press

          The clackety old streetcars that have traveled up and
          down St. Charles Avenue for the past 170 years and
          their shiny new red counterparts on Canal Street will
          be out of service for months, maybe a year or more.

          All 24 of the new cars for the recently completed
          Canal Street line and six of seven of the River Front
          cars were destroyed by the flooding that followed
          Hurricane Katrina. The antique St. Charles cars were
          safe, but the power system that propels them past the
          famous mansions, universities and parks was wrecked
          and must be totally rebuilt.

          "We took a major hit," said Regional Transit Authority
          spokeswoman Rosalind Blanco Cook. "We don't really
          have an estimate for bringing the lines back."

          The St. Charles streetcar line — the oldest
          continuously operating streetcar line in the world —
          is on the National Register of Historic Places and one
          of the icons of the city. Streetcars traveling past
          the mansions, universities and parks offer tourist a
          taste of the city's past and residents a reliable
          commute for $1.25.

          The Riverfront line was added in 1988 and last spring
          the Canal Street line, which was abandoned 40 years
          ago, was restored.

          The St. Charles cars, built in 1923-24, are carefully
          maintained by the RTA. The new cars were built by the
          agency under the supervision of Elmer von Dullen, an
          expert in streetcar construction and maintenance.

          The old streetcars were parked in the Uptown barn and
          escaped unscathed. The new cars were taken to the
          Canal Street barn.

          "That's where we all evacuated to as well," Cook said.
          "We thought it was safe, and it was until the flood."

          The building took five feet or water which stayed for
          more than two weeks.

          "It was really sad," von Dullen said. "It was very
          corrosive. All the metal rusted. Even the plastic had
          white bubbles. If you had a shiny piece of plastic, it
          blistered the surface."

          Unlike the St. Charles cars, which von Dullen
          describes as Model A's in their simplicity, the new
          cars are operated by a computer, air conditioned and
          handicapped accessible. It took 142 days to build each
          car, von Dullen said. It will probably take that long
          to rebuild them.

          "We're going to have to have all the undercarriages
          replaced," von Dullen said. "We'll have to go in there
          and tear out all the old wiring, rip out the paneling,
          rip floor out, treat for corrosion. Then we have to
          put the wiring and flooring back. then the seats and
          interior paneling. It's almost like building new
          ones."

          The bill for repairs is estimated at $1 million per
          car, Cook said. It's hoped that federal aid will pick
          up some of the tab. Restoring the power lines for the
          St. Charles line will be less expensive, but since
          much of the city is still without electricity, it's
          not a high priority.

          The St. Charles cars could run on the other lines,
          Cook said. But because of their historic designation,
          they are not allowed to.

          "We're going to appeal that because of the special
          circumstances," Cook said. "We're hopeful we can use
          them to get the lines going again."

          --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Kutella"