Re: Large ride on trolleys

  • Jim Dornberger
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      I remember this. It was in Traction & Models (I'll see if I can find
      it). The 2 cars were about 10 feet long and held 3 or 4 people - and
      they ran on overhead in a yard in Ohio. I went looking around on
      the 'net but never found any reference to them.

      In the last several months there has been 2 ridable trolleys put on
      Ebay but not of the size of the Ohio set-up.

      If you want to do one now there is a company who will help called RMI
      Railroads (http://www.rmirailworks.com/). They have trolleys, track
      and accesories. No overhead but I'm sure if you went for it you could
      do it yourself!

      Jim Dornberger

      --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Salomon"
      <jdstrolley@r...> wrote:
      > Years ago in Traction and Models magazine, I recall a large scale
      > trolley operation, large enough to ride on. The track gauge was maybe
      > 15 inches or two feet and I recall the operation being in Ohio. It had
      > overhead and all but the cars were definitly not full sized trolleys.
      >
      > Does anyone else recall this operation? Is it still in existence?
      > Are pictures available?
      >
      > Joel Salomon
    • Gordon Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        Traction & Models #199 (May 1982).
        It was a two-foot gauge line belonging to Willard Edson of Toledo, Ohio. At
        the time it was already 36 years old and from the caption materials it no
        longer existed.
        There were three open cars and a work motor shown in the article.
        Regards,
        Gordon
        >I remember this. It was in Traction & Models (I'll see if I can find
        > it). The 2 cars were about 10 feet long and held 3 or 4 people - and
        > they ran on overhead in a yard in Ohio. I went looking around on
        > the 'net but never found any reference to them.
        >
        > In the last several months there has been 2 ridable trolleys put on
        > Ebay but not of the size of the Ohio set-up.
        >
        > If you want to do one now there is a company who will help called RMI
        > Railroads (http://www.rmirailworks.com/). They have trolleys, track
        > and accesories. No overhead but I'm sure if you went for it you could
        > do it yourself!
        >
        > Jim Dornberger
        >
        > --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Salomon"
        > <jdstrolley@r...> wrote:
        >> Years ago in Traction and Models magazine, I recall a large scale
        >> trolley operation, large enough to ride on. The track gauge was maybe
        >> 15 inches or two feet and I recall the operation being in Ohio. It had
        >> overhead and all but the cars were definitly not full sized trolleys.
        >>
        >> Does anyone else recall this operation? Is it still in existence?
        >> Are pictures available?
        >>
        >> Joel Salomon
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005
          There was a four page article in February 1958 Railroad which I have
          posted into the files section.

          It gives quite a few details on the construction of the line and it's
          early history.

          Bill Robb

          --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Davis"