Re: G__PCC

  • electroliner805
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2005
      There are a couple of photos of what appears to be someone's
      scratchbuilt efforts t build a PCC in G scale in the Photos section.
      Whatever became of this car/modeler ?

      Joe Sippaninni
    • Jan Girardot
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2005
        At 12:46 AM +0000 5/3/05, electroliner805 wrote:
        >There are a couple of photos of what appears to be someone's
        >scratchbuilt efforts t build a PCC in G scale in the Photos section.
        >Whatever became of this car/modeler ?

        Hi, Joe;

        That was sent by the man who ran Fox Valley Model Works several years
        back. His reappearance here raised so much ire at his previous
        projects that he withdrew from largescale Trolley group.

        . . . Jan
      • electroliner805
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2005
          Jan,
          What problems were experienced with Fox Vally, if I may ask ?

          I ordered several cars from them about 10 years ago and never had a
          problem. I also met them at the East Penn meet about 8 years ago, and
          they seemed nice enough people. I've never heard anything bad about
          them, and I don't see any message postings in this group to indicate a
          problem.

          I know they discontinued their casting business about 7 years ago but
          they still do some custom building work. I'm considering asking them to
          produce something for me, so any information is greatly appreciated.

          Joe S.
        • Jan Girardot
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2005
            At 6:31 PM +0000 5/3/05, electroliner805 wrote:
            >Jan,
            >What problems were experienced with Fox Vally, if I may ask ?

            I direct you attention to Message #2446, when John first mentioned
            his PCC project. We had a very lengthy and involved thread on his
            Birney project and don't care to revisit it here. If any Group
            members want to weigh in on this, please contact electroliner805
            off-list.
            Thanks,

            . . . Jan
          • James B. Holland
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2005
              Info about the PCC car is very straight forward -- just lacks
              followup. What's with the Birney discussion that affects the PCC car?

              Jan Girardot wrote:

              > At 6:31 PM +0000 5/3/05, electroliner805 wrote:
              >
              >> Jan,
              >> What problems were experienced with Fox Vally, if I may ask ?
              >

              > I direct you attention to Message #2446, when John first mentioned his
              > PCC project. We had a very lengthy and involved thread on his Birney
              > project and don't care to revisit it here. If any Group members want
              > to weigh in on this, please contact electroliner805 off-list.
              > Thanks,
              >
              > . . . Jan
            • jpdornberger
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                Jan,

                I went to message 2446 and saw John's post but I failed to find any
                subsequent consternation. I remember when Fox Valley said they (he)
                would make a G-gauge PCC back in 2001 and then he fell off the face of
                the earth.

                Jim Dornberger

                --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, Jan Girardot <janandpat@l...>
                wrote:
                > At 6:31 PM +0000 5/3/05, electroliner805 wrote:
                > >Jan,
                > >What problems were experienced with Fox Vally, if I may ask ?
                >
                > I direct you attention to Message #2446, when John first mentioned
                > his PCC project. We had a very lengthy and involved thread on his
                > Birney project and don't care to revisit it here. If any Group
                > members want to weigh in on this, please contact electroliner805
                > off-list.
                > Thanks,
                >
                > . . . Jan
              • trolleycar68
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                  --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "jpdornberger"
                  <jpdornberger@c...> wrote:
                  > Jan,
                  >
                  > I went to message 2446 and saw John's post but I failed to find any
                  > subsequent consternation. I remember when Fox Valley said they (he)
                  > would make a G-gauge PCC back in 2001 and then he fell off the face of
                  > the earth.
                  >
                  > Jim Dornberger

                  There have been some reports of "he said" - "we said" with folks being
                  out some money and the Fox Valley guy saying he shipped the order.
                  Right now he has officially closed the business and any modeling is
                  for personal use only. Let's move on.

                  Bob Kutella
                • electroliner805
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2005
                    As Bob so rightly states, this appears to be a case of "he said, they
                    said". I spent the better part of the afternoon going through each of
                    the 2500+ postings of this group, and found only 2 mentions of this
                    company prior to this latest series of postings. Both of those posts
                    were inquires (unanswered by anyone in the Group) asking if the
                    company was still in business. The previous postings by the
                    individual in question are all about personal modeling interests, not
                    one is business related.Having seen this type of public "outing"
                    before,it seems somewhat unfair to me that things are said in such a
                    public forum, without benefit of rebuttal.

                    For the record, some things I have personal knowledge of:
                    1. I personally dealt with the company in question twice (Some 9-10
                    years ago), and had no problems.
                    2. The company has been out of the casting business since 1998, a
                    simple Yahoo search for the company finds their dated webpage. Said
                    webpage states a discontinuation of the buisness in '98, with hopes
                    to resurrect in 1999. To my knowledge, that never happened, I do not
                    know why.
                    3. Said same webpage encourages any and all parties that may have a
                    concern with not receiving product to contact the company directly,
                    and the listed email address is still quite valid.
                    4. I have had personal contact in the past month with the former
                    proprietor of this company, he, as Bob mentioned, is modeling on a
                    personal, not business level, presumably for the last 8 years.
                    5. Based on my past experience with this person, I am contracting
                    with him to custom build a 1:24 scale interurban for me. I hope to be
                    able to share this model with all members of this group in the near
                    future.

                    FoxValley may or may not have had some trouble in the past. What
                    small, home-based business is completely innocent of this, no matter
                    what the reasons ? In any event, my belief is that this would be a
                    personal matter between the parties involved, not a matter for public
                    discussions.

                    Again, this is only my 2 cents worth. I say let sleeping dogs lie,
                    and those parties involved can slug it out amongst themselves if they
                    so choose, preferably somewhere other than here.

                    We're supposed to be talking trolley modeling after all !

                    Joseph Sippaninni
                  • James B. Holland
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5, 2005
                      Very Nicely Written -- Thank You for taking the time to share this
                      information.

                      Jim__Holland