Re: [largescaleTrolley] PE Red Car Barn

  • Gary Starre
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2001
      Thank you. Yes, I was planning to limit it to a 2 track, 2 car barn. Just trying to get some ideas. Happy New Year. Gary Starre

      KIEOSCALER@... wrote:

      <<Anyone out there with car house building experience for suggestions?>>

      Gary,
      Do you need to build the entire building?If its out doors it maybe to large to
      move around.Suggest staying with a two track carbarn and only long enought
      for one car per track.
      MK

    • Gary Starre
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2001
        Thanks, Bill. I'll look into the styrofoam. I had thought of using wood covered with molded styrene, but your idea might weather a little better. Gary.

        Bill Bolton wrote:

         On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 06:54:43 -0000, Gary Starre wrote:

        > I am contemplating adding a barn for a PE Red Car line in G scale on
        > the Pomona Fairplex railroad. One option is the POLA brick enginehouse
        > with some modifications. I have also thought of trying to do a scratch
        > build.
        >
        > Anyone out there with car house building experience for suggestions?

        The problem with out door structures is always weather proofing.

        I've seen some convincing "brick" roundhouses in Florida done with
        building grade "blue" styrofoam sheet material, in which the brick
        outlines were scored.  The surface was then finished in a brick brown,
        allowed to thoroughly dry and flooded with thin wash of white/grey,
        which settled in the scored brick outlines to produce convincing
        mortar lines.  Use silicon sealant for joining styrofoam sections
        together.

        As far as carbarn design, you could just take the Suydam HO scale two
        track PE brick carbarn design and scale it up to 1:22.5 (or whatever
        scale you using).

        Cheers,

        Bill

        Bill Bolton