Activity in large scale

  • AD_Guckes@DENTISTRY.UNC.EDU
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2001
      I tried to post this message yesterday, but I guess I didn't do it
      correctly as it did not make to the list.

      There are very few messages posted to this list. What are people on
      the list doing in large scale? Who has an operating layout? Are folks
      using G gauge track or hand laying track of the correct gauge. I am
      interested in the Philadelphia and West Chester Traction Co. and the
      Philadelphia and Western, but do not have time or skill to hand lay
      track and regauge drives. I assume there are not standard gauge
      trucks commercially available.

      Al
    • Lifeboat John
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2001
        Hi Al: I model in O scale, and not even streetcars: I model
        heavy electric mainline circa 1929. But I got on this list because I was
        in G scale (steam, narrow guage, etc.) for a while and got out before the
        Bachmann trolleys--but somehow I like the size of the Bachmann equipment.
        Hartland Model Railroad makes an interurban now, and I do think the guys on
        this list can be of help. Do not give up. I converted my steam-powered
        narrow guage to catenary-powered electric by the end, rebuilding an LGB loco
        into an American-prototype-based one. You can do it. Cheers, John
        Stilgoe

      • Jan Girardot
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
          Al <AD_Guckes@...> wrote;

          >I tried to post this message yesterday, but I guess I didn't do it
          >correctly as it did not make to the list.

          Sorry, Al; I am afraid that was my error. As Moderator, Yahoo sends
          all messages to me for approval before sending them on to the Group.
          I apparently dumped yours by accident.

          >There are very few messages posted to this list. What are people on
          >the list doing in large scale? Who has an operating layout? Are folks
          >using G gauge track or hand laying track of the correct gauge. I am
          >interested in the Philadelphia and West Chester Traction Co. and the
          >Philadelphia and Western, but do not have time or skill to hand lay
          >track and regauge drives. I assume there are not standard gauge
          >trucks commercially available.

          You have probably thought of this, but why not assume largescale
          track gauge is "standard gauge 4'8.5" and go from there? That would
          make your scale 1:24, wouldn't it? Then just <G> kitbash or scratch build
          new bodies to go on the existing bogies.

          Any one have a comment on that?

          . . .Jan
          girardot@...
          in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, The Spa in the Mountains