Fun in the sun

  • Bryan Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2004
      At least when the sun is shining, which up until recently has
      been not too often. I would assume given the slowdown in the sharing
      of info on Large scale trolley modeling that we are all busy working
      on outdoor projects. Or escaping from the basement at least.
      I have begun the process of expanding my small outdoor loop into
      a much larger system. The small loop that was the old garden has
      been rehashed into a return loop. Trackage will extend to the brick
      patio and pergola and to another return loop. I am using 8' diameter
      curves so hopefully I can go to body mount couplers. Rail size will
      be a mix of 250 and 330. Will use the 250 in the more visible area
      closer to the house. There will be a passing siding in between the
      loops that will have spring switches so automated meets are
      possible. Will take some photos at some point in time.
      What's everyone else up to these days? I've been quite busy the
      last couple months and have not posted much. I would be interested
      to hear what your current projects are.

      Bryan Anderson
    • James B. Holland
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2004
        Bryan Anderson wrote:

        > I have begun the process of expanding my small outdoor loop into
        >a much larger system. The small loop that was the old garden has
        >been rehashed into a return loop
        >
        > Bryan Anderson

        Do you use Live Overhead??

        Jim__Holland
      • Bryan Anderson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2004
          Sorry Jim I use neither live overhead or live underhead. Strictly
          battery operation. I do some live steam too when the mood strikes.
          This time around there will be some line poles and at least the
          impression that this is an interurban. I have three kids ages 4
          through eight and balls, bikes and bamboozles?! would wreak havoc
          on the system. Perhaps when they leave for college...
          Bryan Anderson
          --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "James B. Holland"
          <PRCoModels@P...> wrote:
          > Bryan Anderson wrote:
          >
          > > I have begun the process of expanding my small outdoor loop
          into
          > >a much larger system. The small loop that was the old garden has
          > >been rehashed into a return loop
          > >
          > > Bryan Anderson
          > >

          > Do you use Live Overhead??
          >

          > Jim__Holland
        • trolleycar68
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2004
            --- In largescaleTrolley@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Anderson"
            <bryana@w...> wrote:

            > What's everyone else up to these days? I've been quite busy the
            > last couple months and have not posted much. I would be interested
            > to hear what your current projects are.
            >
            > Bryan Anderson

            Bryan, for my part I have been waiting for suppliers. I thought I saw
            my way clear to start some new projects last February when the weather
            was bad and have been waiting on four suppliers ever since for some
            parts. It does not seem to be limited to any one guy and includes
            some 'reliable' established vendors.

            So I proceeded with planning and engineering of an indoor room sized
            layout. My goal was to have this necessarily small layout able to run
            in an 'automated' sequence but so far have been stymied. Two hobby
            shops, three layout design services, and three suppliers all showed
            interest initially but all have backed out from any ideas or
            recommendations.

            I would like to purchase and install some sort of 'plug and play'
            components that can be configured to start and stop trains, throw a
            switch or two and reverse polarity on a loop. Ideally it would not
            involve modifying equipment extensively for occupancy or detection,
            and would not require a dedicated computer and interface modules for
            this simple concept. Several have said use LGB EPL components, but in
            true LGB fashion there is little technical or catalog info available
            and they are promoting their new digital series stuff now.

            Anyone out there got some ideas?

            Bob Kutella

            P.S. I think George Clark has been working on some items which will be
            a pleasant surprise when we get together at IRM this 4th of July.
          • Bryan Anderson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2004

              > I would like to purchase and install some sort of 'plug and play'
              > components that can be configured to start and stop trains, throw a
              > switch or two and reverse polarity on a loop. Ideally it would not
              > involve modifying equipment extensively for occupancy or detection,
              > and would not require a dedicated computer and interface modules
              for
              > this simple concept. Several have said use LGB EPL components,
              but in
              > true LGB fashion there is little technical or catalog info
              available
              > and they are promoting their new digital series stuff now.

              I was curious how this was progressing Bob. Sorry I only can
              fumble my way through simple circuits. If you are using functioning
              overhead then effectively you would be using three rail concepts
              like in the good old days of Lionel. Would this not elimenate the
              need for a reversing circuit on the loop? Is it possible to
              electrically isolate one rail to energize a turnout when a wheel
              passes over it. Your wheelsets would have to be changed to non
              insulated I guess. As far as the start and stop mode could one of
              the newer timers "i think one is called the motorman" work?
              I'm just thinking out loud and I am sure you already have
              examined all of these possibilities.
              Glad to hear George will be bringing surprises. Makes that
              long trek to ILL Noise worthwhile. looking forward to the trolley
              parade this year.
              Bryan
            • trolleycar68
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 7, 2004
                <bryana@w...> wrote:

                > I was curious how this was progressing Bob. Sorry I only can
                > fumble my way through simple circuits. If you are using functioning
                > overhead then effectively you would be using three rail concepts
                > like in the good old days of Lionel. Would this not elimenate the
                > need for a reversing circuit on the loop? Is it possible to
                > electrically isolate one rail to energize a turnout when a wheel
                > passes over it. Your wheelsets would have to be changed to non
                > insulated I guess. As far as the start and stop mode could one of
                > the newer timers "i think one is called the motorman" work?

                Yes, I have chewed on this for a while. In my fantasy world, I would
                like to use live overhead for my models but also have the possibility
                of having a two rail option for any of my equipment not so
                operational, or for any models someone else might like to run while
                visiting. (As if there more than a handful of like minded idiots in
                this entire nation!!) For this to be totally automated and able to
                run itself unattended, I would have to use pans or else run pole down
                in two rail.

                But I do not think that has to involve much more than a BIG knife
                switch on a slate panel to choose two rail or overhead. Ha Ha -

                But the sequencing controls ought to be compatible with the equipment,
                maybe taping a magnet under the car somewhere to trigger a reed switch
                or something simple. Split Jaw makes a nice unit to start and stop a
                train with adjustable delay and it senses current draw in a rail
                section for detection. But it does not quite have the ability to do
                what I want. That is, to sense a train coming into Track 1, stop it,
                and then start a second train on Track 2. And it is based on an
                integrated chip doing all the logic. So that means I cannot easily
                divorce any of the functions and rewire for a different sequence or to
                a different set of outputs.

                Next question - anyone using DCC to run large scale trolleys? Do they
                even make decoders to handle our voltage and current?

                Bob
              • John M. Franzen
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2004
                  > Yes, I have chewed on this for a while. In my fantasy world, I would
                  > like to use live overhead for my models but also have the possibility
                  > of having a two rail option for any of my equipment not so
                  > operational, or for any models someone else might like to run while
                  > visiting. (As if there more than a handful of like minded idiots in
                  > this entire nation!!) For this to be totally automated and able to
                  > run itself unattended, I would have to use pans or else run pole down
                  > in two rail.
                  >
                  > But I do not think that has to involve much more than a BIG knife
                  > switch on a slate panel to choose two rail or overhead. Ha Ha -
                  >
                  > But the sequencing controls ought to be compatible with the equipment,
                  > maybe taping a magnet under the car somewhere to trigger a reed switch
                  > or something simple. Split Jaw makes a nice unit to start and stop a
                  > train with adjustable delay and it senses current draw in a rail
                  > section for detection. But it does not quite have the ability to do
                  > what I want. That is, to sense a train coming into Track 1, stop it,
                  > and then start a second train on Track 2. And it is based on an
                  > integrated chip doing all the logic. So that means I cannot easily
                  > divorce any of the functions and rewire for a different sequence or to
                  > a different set of outputs.
                  >
                  > Next question - anyone using DCC to run large scale trolleys? Do they
                  > even make decoders to handle our voltage and current?
                  >
                  > Bob

                  Bob,

                  You might want to check out Dallee Electronics, Inc. for the plug-in devices
                  to give you the automated operation you are looking for. Their web-site is
                  www.dallee.com.

                  As for DCC, most, if not all, of the popular DCC systems on the market
                  offer decoders for G Scale. As one who grew up on Lionel control systems, I
                  can appreciate your desire to stay as low tech as possible!

                  John Franzen