G scale trollies

  • fgraham105@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
      Hello!
      You are invited to view an online photo album created by Frank Graham.

      Here is a message describing the photos:

      Here are the pictures I hav e on my G scale trolley modular layout.
      There are four modules, each 4'*5'. The track plan is a folded dogbone with one passing siding and two stub sidings. I can run more than one car, but I have to keep on top of it. There is no automation. The overhead is hot, but cars can also be run two-rail. I have modified most of my cars to use the overhead. I run out of the box Bachmann and LGB, a Public Service of NJ deck roof car, a double ended car made from two Bachmann closed cars, and a Lil Hustler which pushes the X10 TV camera car and pulls the caliope car.
      I made at least one mistake in building the modules. the 4' lengths of LGB track are not 4' long. Don't make your modules any longer than the number of pieces of track you plan to lay on each module. It will greatly simplify the module joining routine.

      Enjoy,
      Frank
      http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=995764&a=11871753

      If you use AOL, use this link to see the photos.
      http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=995764&a=11871753

      If neither of the links are clickable, simply cut and paste
      the first link into your web browser. If you have any trouble,
      please contact Customer Service at
      http://albums.photopoint.com/j/FormEmail?expand=true&File=contact_support

      You can order prints of the pictures while you are viewing them, or
      comment on the album in the guestbook.

      If you want to start sharing your photos online today, sign up for
      your free PhotoPoint membership.
      http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AcctSignup?Expand=true

      Here are a few of the great things you can do as a member of
      PhotoPoint, the #1 online photo site:

      - Take your photos from wherever they are - digital camera, roll of
      film or shoebox - and store them in secure online albums
      - Invite family and friends to view your photos
      - Order prints and custom photo gifts of your favorite pictures
      in the MarketPlace
      - Bring your photos to life in a SmashCast movie with music and
      graphics
      - Learn more about photography through our PhotoTalk section,
      including buying guides and tips on how to take better pictures

      And that's just the beginning.

      For quick answers to many common questions about our site and our
      services, please visit our FAQs, Help, and Sitemap.
      http://www.photopoint.com/help/

      Celebrate Your Life In Pictures(TM) at PhotoPoint today.
      http://www.photopoint.com

      Thank you,
      The PhotoPoint Family
    • Jan Girardot
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
        Thanks to Frank Graham for the nifty photos! Frank, have you done any
        experimentation as to minimum radius for your cars, and what is the
        minimum on your modules?

        Jan
        girardot@...
        in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, The Spa in the Mountains

      • fgraham105@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2001
          Jan, the minimum radius on my modules is 18 inches.  I had a couple overhang
          problems to correct, and some of the single truck cars slow pretty noticeable
          in the turns.

          Frank
        • Jan Girardot
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2001
            Frank Graham replied:

            >Jan, the minimum radius on my modules is 18 inches. I had a couple overhang
            >problems to correct, and some of the single truck cars slow pretty noticeable
            >in the turns.

            Thanks for the information, Frank; on your street trackage, do you do a "girder
            rail" arrangement, with a flangeway created with another piece of
            rail on its side?

            I know some O-traction modelers use brass channel rather than rail, but can't
            tell from the photos how (of "if") you do it.
            Jan
            Angola & Lake James Electric Rwy.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2001
              On the modules I did not use girder rail except on the curves.  Actually it
              would probably be more correct to call what I did guard rails.  For short
              curves I ground indents in the base of the guard rail to fit around the "tie
              plates" and stod the rail upright.  On the longer curves I used brass angle.
              It's primarily for decoration, however.  The ballast is the ground rubber
              from Brummy's Landscape.  He advertises in Garden Railroad magazine, and I am
              just a customer.  The street surface is 1/8 inch thick black plastic material
              I found at Skycraft, a scrounger's heaven in Orlando.

              Frank
              Ocala, FL
            • David Balharrie
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2001
                If anyone is interested in seeing a Dundee tramcar under construction, in
                3/4inch to foot scale,, then feel free to check this page.

                http://www.dgbalhar.demon.co.uk/model-tram/Lochee%20Car/Lochee%20Constructio
                n.htm

                I will update the pages periodically as the model progresses!

                Regards

                David