Fwd: Re: "G" scale overhead

  • Jan Girardot
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15 10:06 AM
      Fwd: Re: "G" scale overhead
      Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:22:10 -0700
      To: TrolleyJWT@...
      From: Jan Girardot <girardot@...>
      Subject: Re: "G" scale overhead
      Bcc:
      Jan:
      Have you had any experience making and installing single span and/or catenary
      for "G" scale????If you have or know some who has let me know......I am about
      to that point.....Thanks..........J.W. (JOHN) Thomas......Oklahoma City

      Hi, John;

      The only overhead I've dealt with in Large Scale is the LGB catenary
      mast system, which as you know is "dirt simple."

      However, I have had some experience with O-scale single-span
      overhead, such as many of the Midwestern U. S. trolley systems used.
      Most of the same techniques can be adapted to Large Scale, and
      because much of the "O-scale" overhead hardware (hangers, wire
      frogs, etc.) are oversize, we could use them too.

      How about me posting this correspondence to the LargeScale Trolley
      List to see what the other Listers have to say?
      Jan

                girardot@...
      in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, The Spa in the Mountains

    • Lifeboat John
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15 4:18 PM
        Hi Everyone: When I was in large scale (indoor) I converted an LGB
        electric loco to an American prototype and erected pantograph-only catenary:
        used #18 copper wire for both carrier and running wires, soldered short
        pieces (half inch) vertically, used 3/8" diameter wood dowels as poles.
        Painted it all a pale green, then cleaned the underside of the running wire.
        Worked fine, never had a de-wirement. Hope this helps. John Stilgoe
      • Brian Robinson
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16 2:57 AM
          Re: [largescaleTrolley] Fwd: Re: "G" scale overhead
          Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:22:10 -0700
          To: TrolleyJWT@...
          From: Jan Girardot <girardot@...>
          Bcc:
          Jan:
          Have you had any experience making and installing single span and/or catenary
          for "G" scale????If you have or know some who has let me know......I am about
          to that point.....Thanks..........J.W. (JOHN) Thomas......Oklahoma City

          Hi, John;

          The only overhead I've dealt with in Large Scale is the LGB catenary
          mast system, which as you know is "dirt simple."

          However, I have had some experience with O-scale single-span
          overhead, such as many of the Midwestern U. S. trolley systems used.
          Most of the same techniques can be adapted to Large Scale, and
          because much of the "O-scale" overhead hardware (hangers, wire
          frogs, etc.) are oversize, we could use them too.

          How about me posting this correspondence to the LargeScale Trolley
          List to see what the other Listers have to say?
          Jan

          Dear Jan and John,
                  I have a friend, Tony Parkinson, who has a G scale garden tramway and I am just starting mine this year.  He makes most of his poles from a type of 'garden cane' that is available in the UK.  It is a hollow steel tube about 4 feet long and 10mm = 3/8 inch diameter.  It is covered with green plastic to prevent rusting.

                  He cuts it into 2 lengths to make 2 poles each 2 feet long.  The plastic sealed ends go down into the ground.  The upper ends have a 9mm diameter wooden dowel rod inserted for strength and the top is sealed with epoxy glue to keep the rain out.  The green plastic is scrape off for all the pole above the end that will be inserted in the ground

                  The horizontal bracket arm is constructed from 3mm=1/8 inch diameter brazing/welding rod. The supports for the arm and wire are constructed from 1.3mm = 1/16 inch diameter brazing/welding rod, all cut to length, curved and shaped to taste and soldered in position.  The whole lot is painted in 'standard' British green.

                  Tony only models pantographs and bow collectors for European tramways, so the wire is hung in the Sommerfeldt style,
          http://www.es.lancs.ac.uk/es/people/teach/br/Trams/BEC/fr/frovho.htm
          made out of lengths of the 1.3mm brazing rod, bent at the end and hooked round the horizontal bracket rod of the same diameter.  So there is a single length of wire between each pair of poles.  This helps with maintenance and repairs.  The pantographs just scrape along underneath, but this helps to keep the wire clean.  No trolley poles or wheels are used.
          http://www.es.lancs.ac.uk/es/people/teach/br/Trams/GIFS/LGBbogie.jpg
          http://www.es.lancs.ac.uk/es/people/teach/br/Trams/festival/Kleinbhn.jpg

                  Alternatively, Model Trolley Systems sells turned steel masts which have to be ordered direct from him by mail (no email address).
          http://www.es.lancs.ac.uk/es/people/teach/br/trams/MTS/default.htm

                  I hope this may help.

                  Best wishes,
                  Brian Robinson
          --
          : Brian Robinson,           Model Tram Kits, Tram Trucks and Decals :