Fwd: [big-trains] Stokie Swift

  • Jan Girardot
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
      Here's someone who can use our help, from big-trains List. (My reply to him
      follows his message.) Jan

      >From: Thmstrain@...
      >Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:09:12 EST
      >Subject: [big-trains] Stokie Swift
      >To: big-trains@...
      >
      >I hope to build a model "G" scale train for my father-in-law for Christmas
      >2001. I am looking for details on the Skokie (Illinois) Swift as it looked
      >in the 1950s. I am located in the Boston Massachusetts area, not Chicago.
      >Does anyone have any suggestions where to start my research of the look and
      >dimensions of this train? Thanks
      >
      >Ray

      Hello, Ray;

      I will forward your query to our (electric traction/trolleys) discussion List,
      largescaleTrolley, since the Swift was an electrically-powered system. I
      have a video (One Mans' Trolleys) by George Krambles, the late Chicago-area
      traction person, who was at CTA when the Swift was started. The cars appear
      to be standard CTA cars of that era, but used a modified "bow-trolley" rather
      than a pole or pantograph for current collection.
      Jan G. (moderator, largescaleTrolley@...)
      girardot@...
      in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, The Spa in the Mountains

    • Philip Roth
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
        You are so correct about the details of the Skokie-Swift rapid trains. I believe
        that som 6000 series rapid cars ran on this line with the modified bow trolley.
        Also some cars were ordered especially for this service. The real authority and
        close friend of mine (without e-mail, unfortunately) is Mr. Paul Willer of Sodus,
        MI. You might call him and he will, if not too taxing, try to help you. His
        phone is 616-927-6607. Or I can relay some messages to him if you like.

        Phil Roth
        Ft. Wayne, IN
        219-436-8936
        railroad@...