Re: [lardeauecovillage] Re: Eco-Village Meeting

  • Fred Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2010
      It sounds like you're doing a wonderful thing. I wish I could
      be a part of it, but I'm out here on the East coast digging out from
      the snow.
      I've been a Quaker for a while although I am now drifting away
      from that a bit. I have seen consensus work in that circle and it was
      a beautiful thing. It does take time and patience, however, and
      everyone involved has to be committed to the process. If you get even
      one or two people who have an alternate agenda or someone who wants to
      disrupt the group, then the whole thing blows up. Then those same
      people turn around and say that the process doesn't work.
      At the very least you have to pre-screen out the functional
      psychopaths and control freaks. Everybody's priority has to be to
      support their neighbours, and you assume that if you accomplish
      anything beyond that, it's a bonus. You spend a lot of time
      communicating about goals and methods and getting to really
      understand each other and that helps build the siblingly love. One
      wise person told me, "We don't need leadership. We need sharingship!"
      It occurs to me that these are the qualities that groups need
      whether or not you are going to call it "consensus," but I might be
      going a little too far there. If you go with a simple majority rule,
      then each time the majority forces a decision, it drives a little wedge
      between members of the group and over time, that can take it's toll as
      well.
      The up side is that when the group really works it's a
      beautiful thing. To be a part of a supporting community is an
      absolutely wonderful thing. I wish you the very best with it.

      Warmest Regards,
      Fred

      --
      Regards,