Dividing for the front and back

  • kwolpert
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 2005
      Hello out there!!

      I hope someone is around to answer a question for me.....I am
      knitting Lara and have just divided for the front and back. I knit the
      84 sts, turned, decreased one st and finished the purl row. Then I
      knit 1 row and now am going to decrease the second st. Is this
      correct? It mentions that this is the neck edge so I am wondering of I
      should have decreased the second st at the beginning of the knit
      row........here is the wording from the book, "k84 sts; turn and work
      these sts only......Dec 1 st at beg (neck edge)of next and foll alt
      row. 82 sts. I really appreciate any help you could give.

      -Kirsten
    • Lisa Dvorak
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 14, 2005
        Kirsten,

        I haven't gotten that far, but I think both of the decreases are
        supposed to be up by the neck edge, rather than at the bottom edge. So
        you would decrease on one row, do the next row plain, then decrease on
        the third one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

        Lisa

        > I knit the 84 sts, turned, decreased one st and finished the purl
        row. Then I knit 1 row and now am going to decrease the second st. Is
        this correct? > -Kirsten

      • knittingbox
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2005
          I had the same problem. My issue is, which end is the neck
          edge???? I did it last week, so already I don't recall what I did.
          Yikes! I guess I should have used one of those project sheets
          afterall.....

          Then when it came to increasing back again, I think I may have
          increased at the other end!

          How did you determine which is the neck edge? I can still rip it
          out since I'm now bogged down in the directions for the Left front
          cast on.

          Perhaps this sweater is beyond my ability. Or at least beyond my
          pattern reading ability!

          --- In lara_knitalong@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Dvorak"
          <inkyfingers@a...> wrote:

          > Kirsten,
          >
          > I haven't gotten that far, but I think both of the decreases are
          > supposed to be up by the neck edge, rather than at the bottom
          edge. So
          > you would decrease on one row, do the next row plain, then
          decrease on
          > the third one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
          >
          > Lisa
          >

          > > I knit the 84 sts, turned, decreased one st and finished the
          purl
          > row. Then I knit 1 row and now am going to decrease the second st.
          Is
          > this correct? > -Kirsten

        • Jennifer Mulcahy
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
            Where do I find a project sheet??  I am about to divide for the front and back and am scared.. and can use all the help I can get!

            <inkyfingers@a...> wrote:

            > Kirsten,
            >
            > I haven't gotten that far, but I think both of the decreases are
            > supposed to be up by the neck edge, rather than at the bottom
            edge. So
            > you would decrease on one row, do the next row plain, then
            decrease on
            > the third one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
            >
            > Lisa
            >

            > >   I knit the 84 sts, turned, decreased one st and finished the
            purl
            > row. Then I knit 1 row and now am going to decrease the second st.
            Is
            > this correct? > -Kirsten

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Kirsten Wolpert
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
              Hi there,

              For the neck edge you do decrease at one end and then increase at the
              other. Sounds like you are a-ok! I know when I was kntting this I had
              to really blindly follow what the pattern was telling me to do and
              trust that it would work out as I couldn't visualize it to save my
              life! (And it did turn out fine - I am seaming now and it might be a
              little small, but is another story :)!)

              Hope this helped some.

              -Kirsten
              www.codeheadsystems.com/kirsten

              --- knittingbox <knittingbox@...> wrote:

              > I had the same problem. My issue is, which end is the neck
              > edge???? I did it last week, so already I don't recall what I did.
              > Yikes! I guess I should have used one of those project sheets
              > afterall.....
              >
              > Then when it came to increasing back again, I think I may have
              > increased at the other end!
              >
              > How did you determine which is the neck edge? I can still rip it
              > out since I'm now bogged down in the directions for the Left front
              > cast on.
              >
              > Perhaps this sweater is beyond my ability. Or at least beyond my
              > pattern reading ability!
              >
              > --- In lara_knitalong@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Dvorak"
              > <inkyfingers@a...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Kirsten,
              > >
              > > I haven't gotten that far, but I think both of the decreases are
              > > supposed to be up by the neck edge, rather than at the bottom
              > edge. So
              > > you would decrease on one row, do the next row plain, then
              > decrease on
              > > the third one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
              > >
              > > Lisa
              > >

              > > > I knit the 84 sts, turned, decreased one st and finished the
              > purl
              > > row. Then I knit 1 row and now am going to decrease the second st.
              > Is
              > > this correct? > -Kirsten

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • knittingbox
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
                Oh, thank you so much! I'm so glad you wrote back. I've been
                trying to blindly follow the directions as well since I heard that
                the directions are perfect, but I am so new to all this.

                I am so glad I don't have to rip out all those rows! Thank you
                again!

                --- In lara_knitalong@yahoogroups.com, Kirsten Wolpert
                <kwolpert@y...> wrote:

                > Hi there,
                >
                > For the neck edge you do decrease at one end and then increase
                at the
                > other. Sounds like you are a-ok! I know when I was kntting this I
                had
                > to really blindly follow what the pattern was telling me to do and
                > trust that it would work out as I couldn't visualize it to save my
                > life! (And it did turn out fine - I am seaming now and it might be
                > little small, but is another story :)!)
                >
                > Hope this helped some.
                >
                > -Kirsten
                > www.codeheadsystems.com/kirsten
                >
                > --- knittingbox <knittingbox@y...> wrote:
                >
                > > I had the same problem. My issue is, which end is the neck
                > > edge???? I did it last week, so already I don't recall what I
                did.
                > > Yikes! I guess I should have used one of those project sheets
                > > afterall.....
                > >
                > > Then when it came to increasing back again, I think I may have
                > > increased at the other end!
                > >
                > > How did you determine which is the neck edge? I can still rip
                it
                > > out since I'm now bogged down in the directions for the Left
                front
                > > cast on.
                > >
                > > Perhaps this sweater is beyond my ability. Or at least beyond
                my
                > > pattern reading ability!
                > >
                > > --- In lara_knitalong@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Dvorak"
                > > <inkyfingers@a...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Kirsten,
                > > >
                > > > I haven't gotten that far, but I think both of the decreases
                are
                > > > supposed to be up by the neck edge, rather than at the bottom
                > > edge. So
                > > > you would decrease on one row, do the next row plain, then
                > > decrease on
                > > > the third one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
                > > >
                > > > Lisa

                > > purl
                > > > row. Then I knit 1 row and now am going to decrease the second
                st.
                > > Is
                > > > this correct? > -Kirsten

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • knittingbox
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Someone in an earlier post gave links to project sheets.
                  Unfortunately, I don't remember who it was.

                  --- In lara_knitalong@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Mulcahy