Beter late than never!

  • Lisa Dvorak
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2005
      Hi,

      I just joined the knitalong, and I hope there are still a few people
      who haven't finished yet so we can urge each other on. I've actually
      done the left sleeve and am about 15 rows into the body. I'm using a
      hand-dyed soft cotton yarn I bought on Ebay and size 5 needles. I
      think I meant to switch to sixes after the ribbing, but I don't
      think it will matter too much, since I've been tinkering with the
      pattern already. I had knit most of the left sleeve, and when I held
      it around my arm, it felt tight, so I frogged back to the ribbing
      and increased 8 stitches on the first row. Now it feels OK. I feel
      like I can check the fit as I go along better, since it's knit side
      to side. I'm also doing a 5 stitch wide (high?) seed stitch border
      along the bottom of the body to help it lie flat. You can barely see
      it, but I don't want the bottom edges to curl.

      I'm also thinking of putting a buttonhole in the front and finding
      one large, pretty button to close it, since I don't have any pins. I
      also don't like the way the pin is pulling the fabric in the photo
      in the book. Has anyone else done that?

      I agree with everyone about the lack of schematics--it's really hard
      to visualize what you're doing without one. Maybe a new publisher
      *is* in order...

      Anyway, I hope I'm not too late, and I'll be reading through the old
      messages to look for helpful hints from those who started way before
      me.

      Lisa
    • Kirsten Wolpert
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2005
        Hi Lisa,

        I am still here - my Lara got put down this spring and I finally
        picked it up this week. So you are not knitting alone!! I am still on
        the first sleeve, and am worried that my gauge is off - the fabric
        seems a little firm. I will check it today. Hope your is going well.

        -Kirsten

        http://mail.yahoo.com