shortening the sleeves

  • kwolpert
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      I am just starting Lara and have a question about shortening the
      sleeves. I need to shorten them by one inch and was wondering if I
      could just knit the ribbing to 3 inches instead of the 4 called for in
      the pattern. I am thinking it would work out fine but would like
      another opinion. (This is only my second sweater - klaralund being the
      first (which had no shaping at all...).) Thanks so much!

      Kirsten
      www.codeheadsystems.com/kirsten
    • Melisa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 26, 2005
        It won't hurt anything to shorten the ribbing on the sleeves, but I
        like the way the wide ribbed cuffs mirrors the wide ribbing down the
        fronts and if it was me, I think I'd shorten them above the cuff. I
        had to make mine longer, so I just used the sleeve length of the large
        even though I was making the medium sweater.

        Melisa

        --- In lara_knitalong@yahoogroups.com, "kwolpert" <kwolpert@y...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I am just starting Lara and have a question about shortening the
        > sleeves. I need to shorten them by one inch and was wondering if I
        > could just knit the ribbing to 3 inches instead of the 4 called for in
        > the pattern. I am thinking it would work out fine but would like
        > another opinion. (This is only my second sweater - klaralund being the
        > first (which had no shaping at all...).) Thanks so much!
        >
        > Kirsten
        > www.codeheadsystems.com/kirsten
      • Kirsten Wolpert
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 26, 2005
          Thanks Melisa. I hadn't thought about the wide cuffs complementing the
          front ribbings. I'll probably shorten the sleeve above the cuff now.
          I'll have a look at the pattern and see if I can do the same as you and
          use the small sleeve length (I am making the medium size). Thanks
          again.

          --- Melisa <themccurleys@...> wrote:

          > It won't hurt anything to shorten the ribbing on the sleeves, but I
          > like the way the wide ribbed cuffs mirrors the wide ribbing down the
          > fronts and if it was me, I think I'd shorten them above the cuff. I
          > had to make mine longer, so I just used the sleeve length of the
          > large
          > even though I was making the medium sweater.
          >
          > Melisa
          >
          > --- In lara_knitalong@yahoogroups.com, "kwolpert" <kwolpert@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > I am just starting Lara and have a question about shortening the
          > > sleeves. I need to shorten them by one inch and was wondering if I
          > > could just knit the ribbing to 3 inches instead of the 4 called for
          > in
          > > the pattern. I am thinking it would work out fine but would like
          > > another opinion. (This is only my second sweater - klaralund being
          > the
          > > first (which had no shaping at all...).) Thanks so much!
          > >
          > > Kirsten
          > > www.codeheadsystems.com/kirsten

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Liz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 27, 2005
            I knit my ribbing 3 inches instead of 4 and it came
            out just fine. If you have shorter arms, the three
            inches of ribbing still looks plenty long.

            Although, even on the small the sleeves are too long.
            At some point I may get industrious and rip back from
            the sleeves and start the ribbing earlier (still
            knitting 3 inches instead of 4).

            Liz