My last Call for Help

  • Leo Laporte
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2001
      Hi, Laporte Report subscriber!

      I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that TechTV
      and I have come to an agreement on my contract. We're still
      working on the exact wording of the deal, but I have agreed to
      stay at the network for another two years with an option for a
      third.

      That's the good news. My schedule will change a bit. That's the
      bad news for some. I really needed to cut back to one show.
      Doing two a day is exhausting. I also don't like working so
      late. I don't get home until 8:30 or 9p. Long after my children are
      asleep.

      TechTV agreed to take me off one show, but which show. I wanted to do Call for Help, but TechTV management really wanted me to continue
      with The Screen Savers. They moved it earlier in the day and
      accomodated me in several other ways, so I couldn't say no.

      That's why tomorrow will be my last Call for Help. The channel is
      searching for a replacement and expects to have some good
      candidates by April 2 when Call for Help moves to
      the 5-6p EDT time slot.

      I'll still be doing two shows, but one of them will be a lot easier. I'm going to be part of the anchor team on TechLive, our new 9-hour MSNBC style daytime programming. My shift is likely to be 3-4p EDT. I'll answer a couple of calls in that hour, but I'll also be doing some news and talking with people about technology. I'm really looking forward to that.

      I will also appear for one segment in Call for Help each day.

      The Screen Savers is going to take over Call for Help's old time
      slot: 7-8:30p EDT. That's right - we're going to 90 minutes. I will
      be the main host of that show, working Monday through Friday.
      Patrick, Martin, and others will work with me on the expanded
      program.

      So I'll be on the air more, answering more of your calls. And
      that's what I really want to do more than anything. I wanted you to
      be the first to hear. I'll make the first official announcement on
      Thursday's Call for Help.

      I've really loved doing CFH for the past three years. It's always
      been the show that meant the most to me and I'll miss it a lot.
      But I'm very excited about the new things we're doing at TechTV.
      Change is always difficult, but I think these changes are for the
      best all around.

      Thanks for watching and, as always, thanks for your support.

      Leo