mailing list moving to Facebook

  • Steve Dekorte
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
      This group has gotten so little activity that I was thinking it was time to retire it but
      thought it might be worth seeing if anyone would be interested in moving the
      discussion to Facebook. So if you're interested, the new group is:

      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Language-Smiths/

      I'll delete the google mailing list in the next few weeks.

      Cheers,
      - Steve
    • jack_nospam
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
        Thanks for the warning.

        I suggest to authors of any brilliant writing (by their own assessment) on this forum that they move it to Lambda the Ultimate.

      • James McCartney
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
          Lambda the Ultimate discourages its use as a place to talk about
          designing your own language. Which makes it not a replacement for
          langsmiths. I personally don't like Facebook as a venue for anything,
          but I haven't been very active on langsmiths so I'll let others
          decide.

          From LtU's guidelines:

          Avoid design discussions: LtU is best used to discuss ideas that have
          been published and argued elsewhere. It is not usually a good place
          for design discussions or hashing out the details of a new idea. You
          can post here to let people know about a new angle you are working on,
          but please move the detailed discussion elsewhere, and link to it

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012

            Then let's keep this open. I volunteer to co-moderate. Please, let's keep this going. Yahoo doesn't charge us anything for it.
          • Steve Dekorte
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
              Correction, it may be:

              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Language-Smiths/304219682958296

              On 2012-01-18 Wed, at 09:05 AM, jack_nospam wrote:

              >> https://www.facebook.com/pages/Language-Smiths/
              >
              > That doesn't seem to be there.

            • Steve Dekorte
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 18, 2012
                Hi Jack,

                I'd be happy to turn the account over to you or anyone else who would like to maintain it.

                Steve

                On 2012-01-18 Wed, at 12:00 PM, jack_nospam wrote:

                > Then let's keep this open. I volunteer to co-moderate. Please, let's keep this going. Yahoo doesn't charge us anything for it.
              • Mike Austin
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 19, 2012
                  I mostly use PiLuD [https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pilud], comp.lang.misc (and #proglangdesign on freenode) these days.  I think the new Googe Groups is cleaner and eaiser to use.  On the other hand, it's great to reference older langsmith posts and I'd hate to see it dissapear.  On another note, I think it would be interesting to have a group for discovering and talking about new languages, which inderectly helps with writing new languages.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 19, 2012
                    Yes, please go ahead and make me the owner. I will at least maintain the message archive.

                    For those who think some other tool will work better for future discussions, I have no opinion about that. If you start a forum about this or a related topic on such other tool, I will join it as well, if welcome.

                    Since I could get run over by a truck any year, I call for volunteer co-moderators. In fact, offhand, I don't see much reason not to make the most recent four or five posters moderators. Unlikely anyone who has posted on-topic in here is a dirty rotten spammer.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 19, 2012
                      On 2012-01-19 Thu, at 12:07 PM, jack_nospam wrote:
                      > Yes, please go ahead and make me the owner.

                      Jack, you're now the owner. Thanks for helping with this.

                      Cheers,
                      Steve
                    • Steve Dekorte
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 19, 2012
                        FTM, since the mailing list will be maintained, I'm taking down the FB group page.

                        Steve