More personal language design group

  • genericallyloud
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 18, 2009
      This forum is a great place for general language design chat, but I'm interested in starting a smaller more personal group for language designers. I was thinking that it might be nice to have just a few people each working on a language to have a group. Each member would stay up to date on the other languages so that discussion could be more in depth and hopefully productive and motivating.

      I wasn't really sure what was out there, but in absence of finding something, I started a quick little google group - http://groups.google.com/group/language-design-community. Anyone interested feel free to contact me or post something there.
    • spir
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2009
        Le Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:25:10 -0000,
        "genericallyloud" <russell.leggett@...> s'exprima ainsi:

        > This forum is a great place for general language design chat, but I'm
        > interested in starting a smaller more personal group for language
        > designers. I was thinking that it might be nice to have just a few people
        > each working on a language to have a group. Each member would stay up to
        > date on the other languages so that discussion could be more in depth and
        > hopefully productive and motivating.
        >
        > I wasn't really sure what was out there, but in absence of finding
        > something, I started a quick little google group -
        > http://groups.google.com/group/language-design-community. Anyone interested
        > feel free to contact me or post something there.

        Have also a look at PiLuD http://groups.google.com/group/pilud
        It's not what you're looking for, just another group about PLD. Still, a bit inactive thses last weeks.

        Denis
        ------
        la vita e estrany
      • Chuck Esterbrook
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 19, 2009
          On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:05 PM, spir<denis.spir@...> wrote:
          > Le Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:25:10 -0000,
          > "genericallyloud" <russell.leggett@...> s'exprima ainsi:
          >
          >> This forum is a great place for general language design chat, but I'm
          >> interested in starting a smaller more personal group for language
          >> designers. I was thinking that it might be nice to have just a few people
          >> each working on a language to have a group. Each member would stay up to
          >> date on the other languages so that discussion could be more in depth and
          >> hopefully productive and motivating.
          >>
          >> I wasn't really sure what was out there, but in absence of finding
          >> something, I started a quick little google group -
          >> http://groups.google.com/group/language-design-community. Anyone
          >> interested
          >> feel free to contact me or post something there.

          I don't see why such discussion threads cannot be started in this
          group which already has an established membership, but low activity.

          > Have also a look at PiLuD http://groups.google.com/group/pilud
          > It's not what you're looking for, just another group about PLD. Still, a bit
          > inactive thses last weeks.

          That group shows nothing but spam on its front page. No thanks.

          Long live langsmiths,

          -Chuck
          --
          http://chuckesterbrook.com/
        • genericallyloud
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 19, 2009
            I wasn't trying to replace langsmiths in any way. I apologize if it came across that way. If you look at the information on the link I provide it might explain better. I guess I was hoping to find two or three people that would be interested in starting a group for the specific purpose of comparing notes and getting feedback on each person's language. What I have in mind would not be a public forum as much as possibly skype chats, instant messaging, in addition to a private group.

            I mean I go into it hoping to get help on my language (ideas not implementation) and in turn would enjoy doing the same for others. And I know that's what this group does, I was just thinking of something more committed, for lack of a better word. The kind of thing where I would already be knowledgeable about all your language's details so that I can easily provide feedback without you having to get me up to speed. This is not something that scales to a public forum.

            And maybe I'm wrong. Maybe thats what this forum already does. I'm new here. Its just that I've been looking through the messages and that's not what it seemed like to me. For example, Mike Austin posted about his language Impulse, asking for feedback, and got no replies. And I get that too, it takes time to learn a new language, especially one you will likely never use. And without really learning it, without playing with it, how can you really give good feedback. What I'm saying, is that I would be willing to put in that time as long as someone would do the same for me.

            Anyway, maybe I'm the only one who is interested in this kind of thing.

            --- In langsmiths@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Esterbrook <Chuck.Esterbrook@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:05 PM, spir<denis.spir@...> wrote:
            > > Le Fri, 19 Jun 2009 05:25:10 -0000,
            > > "genericallyloud" <russell.leggett@...> s'exprima ainsi:
            > >
            > >> This forum is a great place for general language design chat, but I'm
            > >> interested in starting a smaller more personal group for language
            > >> designers. I was thinking that it might be nice to have just a few people
            > >> each working on a language to have a group. Each member would stay up to
            > >> date on the other languages so that discussion could be more in depth and
            > >> hopefully productive and motivating.
            > >>
            > >> I wasn't really sure what was out there, but in absence of finding
            > >> something, I started a quick little google group -
            > >> http://groups.google.com/group/language-design-community. Anyone
            > >> interested
            > >> feel free to contact me or post something there.
            >
            > I don't see why such discussion threads cannot be started in this
            > group which already has an established membership, but low activity.
            >
            > > Have also a look at PiLuD http://groups.google.com/group/pilud
            > > It's not what you're looking for, just another group about PLD. Still, a bit
            > > inactive thses last weeks.
            >
            > That group shows nothing but spam on its front page. No thanks.
            >
            > Long live langsmiths,
            >
            > -Chuck
            > --
            > http://chuckesterbrook.com/

          • spir
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 19, 2009
              Le Fri, 19 Jun 2009 18:38:37 -0000,
              "genericallyloud" <russell.leggett@...> s'exprima ainsi:

              > I wasn't trying to replace langsmiths in any way. I apologize if it came
              > across that way. If you look at the information on the link I provide it
              > might explain better. I guess I was hoping to find two or three people that
              > would be interested in starting a group for the specific purpose of
              > comparing notes and getting feedback on each person's language. What I have
              > in mind would not be a public forum as much as possibly skype chats,
              > instant messaging, in addition to a private group.
              >
              > I mean I go into it hoping to get help on my language (ideas not
              > implementation) and in turn would enjoy doing the same for others. And I
              > know that's what this group does, I was just thinking of something more
              > committed, for lack of a better word. The kind of thing where I would
              > already be knowledgeable about all your language's details so that I can
              > easily provide feedback without you having to get me up to speed. This is
              > not something that scales to a public forum.
              >
              > And maybe I'm wrong. Maybe thats what this forum already does. I'm new
              > here. Its just that I've been looking through the messages and that's not
              > what it seemed like to me. For example, Mike Austin posted about his
              > language Impulse, asking for feedback, and got no replies. And I get that
              > too, it takes time to learn a new language, especially one you will likely
              > never use. And without really learning it, without playing with it, how can
              > you really give good feedback. What I'm saying, is that I would be willing
              > to put in that time as long as someone would do the same for me.
              >
              > Anyway, maybe I'm the only one who is interested in this kind of thing.

              Certainly not!
              I would personly love to take part to such a project; there are 2 issues for me:
              * not enough time next months
              * no personal language to bring yet

              Still, your proposal is certainly a Good Thing; and utopic in the better sense of the word. You should maybe avoid closing it too much for the reason only one out of n persons will really bring something (valuable, whatever this means for you).

              Denis
              ------
              la vita e estrany
            • genericallyloud
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 19, 2009
                --- In langsmiths@yahoogroups.com, spir <denis.spir@...> wrote:

                > Le Fri, 19 Jun 2009 18:38:37 -0000,
                > "genericallyloud" <russell.leggett@...> s'exprima ainsi:
                >
                > > I wasn't trying to replace langsmiths in any way. I apologize if it came
                > > across that way. If you look at the information on the link I provide it
                > > might explain better. I guess I was hoping to find two or three people that
                > > would be interested in starting a group for the specific purpose of
                > > comparing notes and getting feedback on each person's language. What I have
                > > in mind would not be a public forum as much as possibly skype chats,
                > > instant messaging, in addition to a private group.
                > >
                > > I mean I go into it hoping to get help on my language (ideas not
                > > implementation) and in turn would enjoy doing the same for others. And I
                > > know that's what this group does, I was just thinking of something more
                > > committed, for lack of a better word. The kind of thing where I would
                > > already be knowledgeable about all your language's details so that I can
                > > easily provide feedback without you having to get me up to speed. This is
                > > not something that scales to a public forum.
                > >
                > > And maybe I'm wrong. Maybe thats what this forum already does. I'm new
                > > here. Its just that I've been looking through the messages and that's not
                > > what it seemed like to me. For example, Mike Austin posted about his
                > > language Impulse, asking for feedback, and got no replies. And I get that
                > > too, it takes time to learn a new language, especially one you will likely
                > > never use. And without really learning it, without playing with it, how can
                > > you really give good feedback. What I'm saying, is that I would be willing
                > > to put in that time as long as someone would do the same for me.
                > >
                > > Anyway, maybe I'm the only one who is interested in this kind of thing.
                >
                > Certainly not!
                > I would personly love to take part to such a project; there are 2 issues for me:
                > * not enough time next months
                > * no personal language to bring yet
                >
                > Still, your proposal is certainly a Good Thing; and utopic in the better sense of the word. You should maybe avoid closing it too much for the reason only one out of n persons will really bring something (valuable, whatever this means for you).
                >
                > Denis
                > ------
                > la vita e estrany

                Believe me, I don't exactly have oodles of time to spare, either. I work for a start-up, and I have a 1 year old son. But this is something that keeps my brain active when the day is done, so there's a little time to steal here and there :)

                Even if something does get started with a group, I'll be sure to post back here. I agree that I wouldn't want it too closed, I just know that I don't have that much time either! The larger the group, the more to keep up with.

                -Russ
              • jack_nospam
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2010